[SOLVED] GTX 1080 on the way out? time for an upgrade?

Feb 16, 2020
I have a stock GTX 1080 which I've had since 2016, I'm convinced it's on the way out as I have to significantly underclock it by -300MHZ in MSI afterburner in order to not get artefacting and crashing problems on pretty much any game or 3DMARK. The supporting cast for the PC is an i7 6700k, 32gb RAM and a 750w PSU, all of the components are reading usual temps apart from the GPU which I feel is really burning up. Is the GPU the obvious problem or is there likely to be something else causing this in the system? I can still run any game I want just fine but the significant underclock and high 80 degree temps are pretty concerning in my eyes and I'm happy to upgrade to a more modern card if that would be the best course of action for the PC overall, any suggestions for a card that wouldn't break the bank, has more fans on than my stock 1080 and performs better would be great.

Solution
I'm not aware of being able to test that GPU without swapping it with another GPU. At least with the swap you can see if those issues appear with another GPU which means it's something else and not your 1080. This also allows the person you swapped with to try your 1080 and if they encounter those issues then you can pretty much say that it's 100% the 1080 and needs to be replaced.

With your budget I'd probably look at the 2070S or 5700 XT.
Feb 16, 2020
Thank you for the response, I'm currently running a pair of VG248E's running at 120Hz because I think I used to have even worse problems when running them both at 144hz (both only 1080p). The power supply to my knowledge is a 650W Corsair, I'm really not 100% sure on any other information about it and it's buried inside my tower. I'm adding a new case fan tomorrow so I can have a better look but I'm pretty confident that's what it is.

WildCard999

Titan
Well with the higher refresh rate it's going to tax the GPU a bit more so limiting the FPS will help for now but if/when you get a new GPU you should be able to go back to 144hz without issue.

Try to find out the exact model, while Corsair does have some really good PSU's there's others like the VS which I wouldn't trust in a gaming system and need to be replaced.

When you bought the 1080 was it new or did you buy it used?

Feb 16, 2020
Just found some old paperwork, the Power supply is a Corsair RM750i. and all parts were brand new when it was put together, it will be 4 years next month when i got everything.

WildCard999

Titan
Just found some old paperwork, the Power supply is a Corsair RM750i. and all parts were brand new when it was put together, it will be 4 years next month when i got everything.
Hmm so it wouldn't be the PSU as the cause of those issues or the GPU. Do you have any local friends or family that could let you borrow a GPU to make sure it's your GPU and nothing else?

If it does need to be replaced what is your budget?

Feb 16, 2020
I do have a few people that I could probably test a different GPU with, would there be any tests I could run now that could diagnose any problems elsewhere in the system without going through the hassle of changing around parts?

Budget wise I'm pretty flexible, although I don't want to be spending a ridiculous amount, I'll say somewhere in the 500-600 region would be the max I could consider.

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
First of all, I'm not expert. Have you checking the frequencies that your card is reaching?
Test your PC with the side open and a regular fan in its maximum speed blowing air into the PC, if your card drops a significant amount of temperature or at least achieve much higher clocks, I'd say is a ventilation problem. The GPU usually draws more than double the CPU, while gaming the difference can me even greater depending on the components (mine card get around 160 W, while my CPU reaches 80W under stress tests, gaming I'm using 20%).
Underclocking and consequently lower the power drawn can let the card run higher frequencies and achieve similar temperatures, so is difficult to say anything just by the voltages.
I would also recommend for you to watch some Youtubes videos about changing the thermal past of the GPU, normally there isn't a great difference, but from 2016 until now....

WildCard999

Titan
I'm not aware of being able to test that GPU without swapping it with another GPU. At least with the swap you can see if those issues appear with another GPU which means it's something else and not your 1080. This also allows the person you swapped with to try your 1080 and if they encounter those issues then you can pretty much say that it's 100% the 1080 and needs to be replaced.

With your budget I'd probably look at the 2070S or 5700 XT.

Solution