Question GTX 1080 only using 22% power ?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I recently bought a used 1080 and im testing it, but it has corrupted my Windows 3 times now, ive had to reinstall my windows multiple times and when i restart the computer it corrupts my windows install again. im using an EVGA GTX 1080 8GB FTW ACX 3.0.

if you have any ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix it please let me know.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
i did not but when i tried booting back into windows after a full format of each drive, i tried downloading LAN drivers to download the GPU drivers and it restarted and corrupted again

Sep 1, 2023
Bit of a stretch but it may be mixing two different sticks of Ram (presumably an 8gb +4gb) which may have different speeds and CAS latencies. While the RAM itself may be fine, windows could be having some OS-related issues managing these two different sticks of RAM. Hence why memtest86 won’t show anything (it runs prior to windows OS booting). Put in just the 8gb stick, see if it runs. If it errors, put just the 4GB stick. Oh, and update your laptop’s BIOS if you haven’t already

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
also another thing to note, before it corrupts my windows i get a patternized screen artifact which can go form green to white, id have to take a picture when i get home but if it does get into windows it doesnt stay stable for long.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
So i got a 1080 and finally got it working, problem is its only using 22% of its wattage/power draw, any ideas on how to fix this?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
MSI Afterburner and EVGAS Precision X1

im measuring the draw with Furmark and HWMonitor

im only getting 15 FPS on Furmark at 720p 0x MSAA

Update: i did UNIGINE Heaven and i got about 18 FPS avg

Last edited:

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
The GTX 1080 is second-hand, its been a difficult time getting it to even get into windows, now that its running stably, the card only draws 50 watts max and im trying to get that working. i plan on putting the 1080 into another system.

Right. Well then, you've bought the card, and it wasn't working. You've now way to tell if it works before purchase. Did you intend to buy it damaged/not working? Were you told it wouldn't boot before hand?

Its prob been modified for a crypto rig, and as a result of prolonged usage, doesn't seem to be working as hoped. You might use GPU-z and see what bios the card has.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the GPU with ISO? This might help.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Right. Well then, you've bought the card, and it wasn't working. You've now way to tell if it works before purchase. Did you intend to buy it damaged/not working? Were you told it wouldn't boot before hand?

Its prob been modified for a crypto rig, and as a result of prolonged usage, doesn't seem to be working as hoped. You might use GPU-z and see what bios the card has.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the GPU with ISO? This might help.
he said it worked, when i got home it didnt work, i finally got it working and now its only using 22% power

BIOS is: 86.04.3B.00.84

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Ive tested my GPU in OCCT and it drew the full 170-200W its supposed to but i ran UNIGINE Heaven and Furmark again and those are back to 50W max power draw, im very confused on why this is happening.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
just tried a friends machine to see if something is wrong with both of my machines, still no difference on the power draw, stuck at 22% on all programs except for OCCT, in which it will draw the full 200w its rated for. do you think a pc repair store might try to repair it?

just tried a friends machine to see if something is wrong with both of my machines, still no difference on the power draw, stuck at 22% on all programs except for OCCT, in which it will draw the full 200w its rated for. do you think a pc repair store might try to repair it?
Contact Northridge Fix for an quote and see if it is worth it.
A couple of months ago, a friend got a GTX 1080 for $120 on eBay with a year warranty.

TRENDING THREADS