[SOLVED] GTX 1080 replacement?

Aug 25, 2020
Unfortunately my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW suffered a VRM (I think?) failure over the weekend. I've been holding off on putting together a new system for the Nvidia Ampere series, so hopefully by the end of the year I can get that done. In the meantime, what's are the cheapest options to give me similar performance as the 1080? I only game in 4K, so that's a big consideration (and also why I need to upgrade my whole system ASAP). I'm running an i7 6700k and a MSI Z170A. I'm not nearly into computers these days as I was years ago, so I appreciate the help.

Also is there anything I can do with this card or is it completely trashed?

weA19Zq.jpg

Solution
Yeah, I'd normally recommend you a RTX 2070 Super or better, but Ampere is so close that it's really not worth it.

I'm curious what power supply you are using. The fact that a) your 1080 had an electrical failure and b) the new 4k Ampere cards are going to be quite power hungry, it may be worth looking into a high quality high wattage power supply with good ripple suppression and other stuff.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It's not worth paying +$200 on a used card to match performance.

What processor you have? If it has an integrated GPU you could play some good 2D games. There are many out there. Something like the first Pillars of Eternity should run ok on an integrated GPU (unless its a very old CPU). There are a lot of very good games out there that don't require a lot of GPU power and some of them are even more fun than some of the high end graphic AAA games....

Aug 25, 2020
It's not worth paying +$200 on a used card to match performance.

What processor you have? If it has an integrated GPU you could play some good 2D games. There are many out there. Something like the first Pillars of Eternity should run ok on an integrated GPU (unless its a very old CPU). There are a lot of very good games out there that don't require a lot of GPU power and some of them are even more fun than some of the high end graphic AAA games....

i7 6700k and a MSI Z170A board. Only issue is my monitor only has HDMI and Displayport inputs. The integrated video has HDMI out, but when you use HDMI with my monitor it's limited to 30hz refresh rate. It's maddening!

Yeah, I'd normally recommend you a RTX 2070 Super or better, but Ampere is so close that it's really not worth it.

I'm curious what power supply you are using. The fact that a) your 1080 had an electrical failure and b) the new 4k Ampere cards are going to be quite power hungry, it may be worth looking into a high quality high wattage power supply with good ripple suppression and other stuff.

Solution
Aug 25, 2020
So EVGA is the best. Even though my card was 3 years out of warranty (it was part of a pre-built I got for a crazy good deal), they did an RMA for it. Got the replacement this week and it was an RTX2070! Not too shabby. Now I can wait a month or two and pick up an RTX 3080 for my new build.

TRENDING THREADS