GTX 1080 SLI or just one GTX 1080 Ti

Solution
It might have been a good idea to go for a G-Sync display. But given that you also have a multi-monitor setup, that would obviously be rather costly at this point.

With the current state of graphics hardware, adaptive sync monitors are a better value proposition than simply adding more and more graphics horsepower. (In my opinion.)

Cioby

Distinguished
As he said, you can get maybe 5-20 more fps on some titles at 4K. But in some other cases, you get less. And you may end up saving money selling your old GPU and getting a new 1080ti unless you can get a really cheap used identical card as yours.

You would also need more power, 2x6 pin 2x8 pin connectors and a quality PSU with at least 750W. Also from what I've seen previously to 1080ti release, the 1080 and 1070 aren't that good at dx12 while the 1080ti is as good as AMD cards on dx12 (yet more powerful than AMD cards).

Solix66

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016

Budget depends on which option is better considering the cost. or maybe it's just better to wait for the next series like GTX 2080 lol

MSI GTX 1080 gaming x
i7 6700k
16gb ram
5 hard drives

Why? 120hz/60hz 4K TV and 3 curved Samsung 27"
How upgrading the display would help?

Solix66

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016

What do you mean by "unless it scales well"

It might have been a good idea to go for a G-Sync display. But given that you also have a multi-monitor setup, that would obviously be rather costly at this point.

With the current state of graphics hardware, adaptive sync monitors are a better value proposition than simply adding more and more graphics horsepower. (In my opinion.)

Solution

Cioby

Distinguished
For the small boost of fps over the 1080ti and LOSS on some games that aren't SLI optimized, it's not really worth the pain in my opinion. The 1080ti can give you almost 40% the performance boost without any pain.
Unless I'd find the same GPU as yours, on a huge sale, I'd probably not do it. Either exchange it for a 1080ti non-reference card, or wait for 2080 (then prices drop and you can SLI cheap or upgrade if it's a lot better) but in my experience, the 980ti was almost 10% slower than the 1080 so it wasn't worth the upgrade since I could OC.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Not many games / applications take advantage of SLI well. Some only perform slightly better with SLI as opposed to one GPU, some perform the same, some actually perform worse. Very few games will properly utilize both graphics cards in SLI.

Cioby

Distinguished
Why is everyone talking monitors? Am I missing something or is this a GPU discussion? The only thing I'd change is get bigger monitors for 4K since 28 is the limit at which you can actually see a huge difference in resolutions. But not really worth buying 3 new monitors. And gsync isn't really that great, I'm disappointed by it.

The scaling factor is an issue with SLI. You might see (for example) anything from 0% to 90% scaling. Meaning 0% increase in fps or 90% increase in fps vs. a single card.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/

I have 2 x R9 Furys in Crossfire. They actually perform/scale well in most of the games I currently play, but newer games from 2016/17 often don't support multi-GPU at all - which is why I no longer recommend it to the average user.

I'd carefully check to see if SLI (or DX12 m-GPU) is properly supported in the games you play before getting a second card.

Cioby

Distinguished
Actually it's more like -30% to 90% since games like Just Cause 3 work worse on SLI. And some other games as well have the same issue.

While 1080ti is a stable 40-50% increase depending on model and OC. And works better with dx12