Question GTX 1080 SLI vs. Single RTX 2080 TI

dzee349

Commendable
May 2, 2019
Hi all! Glad to be on the forums!

Quick question, I currently have two GALAX GTX 1080s in SLI that I purchased in 2016, and was thinking of upgrading to a single RTX 2080 TI (Zotac AMP Extreme). I thought the upgrade would be obvious, thinking that the RTX 2080 TI would easily outperform two 1080s in SLI, but I was surprised when I saw benchmarking videos that two 1080s in SLI are on par or outperform a single 2080 TI. I was looking forward to switching to a single-card set up, but I'm afraid of losing FPS by making the switch. So far I've only run into issues with SLI in Far Cry 5, where SLI worked for a while but after a few game updates, the game would crash to desktop on the menu screen if SLI was enabled. I've also run into minor issues with SLI in games like Skyrim, where some textures would flicker, which is usually remedied by ENBs.

I currently have the new RTX 2080 TI still packaged up in front of me and would love to unbox it and get started upgrading right away, but I would definitely appreciate any input on whether this is a worthwhile upgrade, or if I should stick with the two 1080s in SLI for a little while longer?

Thanks!!

Didi

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I'd go with the 2080 ti since games are supporting SLI even less nowadays. You also get RTX assuming you play games that support it. Plus a 2080 ti is insanely fast already.