GTX 1080 throttling @ low temps!

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
I have a max stable 2100 Mhz overclock. However, I noticed some odd behaviour, where the clocks after 1min into Heaven bench session reduce to 2060 Mhz. Not much, but why?

The max temperature reported by GPU-Z was 71C, which shouldn't normally cause throttling.

Restarted the test, and clocks back to 2100 Mhz. But same thing again after 1 min everytime.

How to I keep it stable?

CoreV+100, Power limit 120%, Temp limit 92' configured using AFburner.

Specs:-
Intel 4790 + Asus strix GTX 1080
H97 Gigabyte
8GB Kingston ddr3
Corsair AX860i
Windows 10 Home.

Solution
If it makes you feel better to know for certain that there is no throttling what so ever. Only reduced boost, download GPU-Z, and check out the default, and OC clocks. You'll notice that what you are getting is way beyond what is listed.
The newer Nvidia cards use boost technology which automatically OC's them beyond your base clocks, and manual OC's. They push the clocks up based on temps and power draw.

2100Mhz is beyond what your base line clocks are for the GPU, and almost certainly higher than the OC you set it to already. But it will also vary a bit based on temps and power draw.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
The 10-- series cards are pretty sensitive to even small changes in temperature. So even 5 degrees cooler may get you at least most of the way back to 2100. (This is even true of non-overclocked cards...there WILL be a frequency decrease if you go from 60 to 70 degrees for example.)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's the pascal arch at work right there. It's sensitive about temps.
Even though you weren't overheating, it downclocks bit by bit the closer you get to the thermal limit.
About the best you can do about is to set a more aggressive fan curve.

To be more accurate, it does not downclock except in the most extreme cases. It just doesn't boost as high as it can. If you look up the default clocks, and his OC clocks, that 2100mhz is a lot higher than what it says it will get. Nvidia's boost just gives the card an additional OC that varies because it is pushing it to its limit.

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017

Tried aggressive fan curve but still the same problem. Temps were low as 59-61 max.

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017

I lowered clocks to 2080mhz or 2070mhz. It still downclocks 20-30mhz but not 'everytime' now. Some runs Im getting stable clocks but some runs downclock again. Strange.

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017

guess ur right but then pretty pointless raising 'max temp' to 92' when it's gonna throttle anyway from 60' onwards.
My RX480 reference card could take 85' without throttling. Such a stud he was!

Seriously, stop with the "throttling" talk. It doesn't throttle. It just doesn't boost as high. It's not entirely about temperatures either. It's also based on other things such as power draw and usage.

You cannot get "stable" clocks, because the card is not designed around having a fixed clock rate. It is designed to vary based on temps, power draw and usage.