Gtx 1080 ti constant fps drops

Jimmy Rai

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
Having built a new pc 2 days ago with the following parts - i7 6900k, gtx 1080 ti amp extreme , windows 10 64 bit, corsair 3000mhz ram 8gb, msi gaming pro carbon ac motherboard, evga 1000w g3 powersupply, Asus pg 278qr 1440p 144hz monitor, I'm now running into fps drops after about 5 minutes playing gta v. Fps will go from 144 to low 60's and sometimes 20's causing lagging/freezing every few seconds.

Cpu is clocked at 4.2 and gpu is at stock clocks.

I've tried setting nvidia control panel to max performance. I've haven't encountered this problem on my other pc which is an i7 4790k with an r9 290x.

Jimmy Rai

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
I've also got everything installed on a Seagate 2 tb hdd, got no ssd atm but I will get one later on. Could the game textures having to load fast have something to do withy fps? I noticed that while the fps drops were happening that game was loading some textures.

Gta V does have problems when going to fast on a slow or fragmented hdd. However did you do a fresh install of windows 10? Also is anything but gta running in the background?
Try a benchmark utility like unigene heaven and see if it stutters there.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What loads are you receiving for your GPU, CPU (cores) and RAM?
- It only takes one CPU core to bottleneck a game, or not enough RAM for your CPU to have to read/write from your HDD.

- Could be background processes hogging hardware resource, check if there are any background processes hogging resources
- CPU could be capped from power management settings
- Ensure the storage disks have been cleaned / optimised as far as possible and regularly
- Could be virus / malware using hardware resource, run scans as appropriate
- Out of date / conflciting drivers - ensure all of your drivers are up to date or rollback to your previous drivers if the issue coincided with an update
- (You've already done) NVIDIA Control Panel could be capping the performance of your GPU for power management
- (You've already done) GPU or CPU could potentially be overheating - you'd need to monitor temps and % load of the components

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

I'd ideally need to see individual core CPU loads. The overall CPU load is a bit of a red herring, as it only takes one core to cause a bottleneck.

Equally can you identify RAM usage?

be sure to cover all of the options I stated above.

Jimmy Rai

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
UC 47%
Core 0 53%
Core 1 39%
Core 2 51%
Core 3 40%
Core 4 43%
Core 5 50%
Core 6 95%
Core 7 34%
Core 8 50%
Core 9 33%
Core 10 54%
Core 11 35%
Core 12 75%
Core 13 40%
Core 14 75%
Core 15 34%

Ram usage is 84%, cpu clocks were 3700ghz

Core 6 usage is high enough to be a limiting factor. If you drop the resolution and retest do you get drops to similar fps?

The fact overclocking gives a big boost to fps and your core 6 usage suggests GTA V can't use the extra threads of your CPU and at 3.7Ghz the single core performance will be below the 4790k at stock.