[SOLVED] GTX 1080 Ti fans screen cuts out fans 100% black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3ntwilson

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Hi guys I'm at my wits end I'm hoping you clever people can help me I have a Nvidia GTX 1080 ti which has a fault. Happily using the card every other day for the past year light gaming no issues. Then I had a problem of the display cutting out and the fans going to 100%
I've I've tried fresh install of OS both Windows 7 and Windows 10 and even tried Linux all seem to boot to desktop but within five minutes display cuts out and fans go to 100%. Latest drivers, old drivers
I I have taken card apart to clean the old paste and reapplied new paste but same problem returns. I do hope that this is something that could be a failed component that could be disoldered , purchase new part and re solder however I am not sure what is the culprit.
I'm hoping this has been a common fault for someone in the past and it has been fixed I have done some digging and some people have suggested bad pins???? 8pin 6pin? What's the compontents that power these pins.
Others others have suggested fan controller. I am genuinely puzzled and am praying that the experts in this area can help me because I have lost faith right now.
I am comfortable with micro soldering and with a soldering iron I'm not as comfortable as diagnosing the possible fault if someone can assist me and point me in the right direction I'm happy to replace components

Help experts , please help

MSI 270 A-Pro
Gtx1080ti
Intel 6600k
Corsair 16GB DDR4
600w Corsair psu

Last edited:
Solution
What's the exact Corsair PSU?

The best option for a situation like this is usually RMA. Hard to say without details of your exact 1080 Ti, but warranties tend to be for three years and given that the 1080 Ti came out in March 2017, your warranty should still cover this.

As for specific parts on the GPU being replaced, it would be highly unusual if a GPU was serviceable in this manner. Component failure on a GPU, if it's not something like a fan, is more often than not a terminal illness.

DSzymborski

Titan

The best option for a situation like this is usually RMA. Hard to say without details of your exact 1080 Ti, but warranties tend to be for three years and given that the 1080 Ti came out in March 2017, your warranty should still cover this.

As for specific parts on the GPU being replaced, it would be highly unusual if a GPU was serviceable in this manner. Component failure on a GPU, if it's not something like a fan, is more often than not a terminal illness.

Reactions: ag3ntwilson
Solution

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Anybody? Thought this community was pretty vast ? Need help please.

Before you RMA the card test it via Furmark and if you have a spare pc test it in that to be sure it's not your other components, however stress tests and others won't guarantee 100% it's not broken, but black screens could be alot of things, i'd recommend to have a direct look at the PCB on the GPU to see for visual damage.

So the main ways to test are Stress testing (Heaven benchmark, furmark, burnintest to test all components together), checking for visual damage and testing on a spare WORKING pc.

Good luck man.

Reactions: ag3ntwilson

ag3ntwilson

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

Cheers for reply it's a CX 600 , the card was bought second hand approx a year ago , and the warranty sticker was gone , thermal paste was replaced so I cannot RMA unfortunately 😔

ag3ntwilson

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Before you RMA the card test it via Furmark and if you have a spare pc test it in that to be sure it's not your other components, however stress tests and others won't guarantee 100% it's not broken, but black screens could be alot of things, i'd recommend to have a direct look at the PCB on the GPU to see for visual damage.

So the main ways to test are Stress testing (Heaven benchmark, furmark, burnintest to test all components together), checking for visual damage and testing on a spare WORKING pc.

Good luck man.
Hi there, thanks for reply, I cannot run these tests as the computer doesn't stay on long enough , 3-5 mins after powering on display cuts out and fans go to 100%

ag3ntwilson

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

Good luck man.
Please see my last post with screenshot

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Same problem , I know it's deffo the card, it definitely has a problem , but I would like to get to the bottom of it , what do you mean the info is irrelevant ?

You have RUN out of tests to do on your pc, that info gets you nowhere, could be a glitch of the program or could be the gpu being bad or a number of things, the only real way to know is to test on another pc.

thats your option other tests don't matter anymore.

ag3ntwilson

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
You have RUN out of tests to do on your pc, that info gets you nowhere, could be a glitch of the program or could be the gpu being bad or a number of things, the only real way to know is to test on another pc.

thats your option other tests don't matter anymore.
Just to clarify I have tried it in another machine and it's the same problem exactly the same symptoms so that is definitely a fault with the card but I'd like to know if it's a problem with capacitors or components not pushing or pulling enough power which is causing this to happen I'm hoping that someone is actually stumbled across this before and can say yep what you need to do is disolder this and resolder that, or , it sounds like this component has gone bad. I know this sounds like a shot in the dark but this is a very expensive card so I'm willing to re solder a few components if needed

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Just to clarify I have tried it in another machine and it's the same problem exactly the same symptoms so that is definitely a fault with the card but I'd like to know if it's a problem with capacitors or components not pushing or pulling enough power which is causing this to happen I'm hoping that someone is actually stumbled across this before and can say yep what you need to do is disolder this and resolder that, or , it sounds like this component has gone bad. I know this sounds like a shot in the dark but this is a very expensive card so I'm willing to re solder a few components if needed

Alright thankyou for the clarification, i'm not that person you'll have to ask someone else, my advice is just to RMA the card if you can, if not you'll have to seek help elsewhere, good luck man

Status
Not open for further replies.