Question GTX 1080 Ti heat problem ?

Jun 1, 2024
Hello, it’s my first post here, and maybe this question have been answered before but I couldn’t find anything helpful to me.
I’ve bought recently a second hand pc, with following specs:

i7-8700k (currently running at 4,8)
Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
DDR4 16GB (3200) and so on…

My problem is that while running various game and benchmarks I have found quite a high temperatures overall.
I’m especially concerned about my gtx 1080 ti, which runs stable at 1800Mhz at 85° Celsius. I know it is a hot card overall, however I would like to lessen the temps as much as possible…
I’ve played a couple of days back and it was getting to the high 80s and maxing at 91°
I believe it’s not great for the graphics card to be operating at such temperatures daily
Could someone suggest me sth? Much thanks in advance.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi.
You've not told us what case it's in; we need to be sure the cooler isn't being choked. Oh, and be sure the fans are facing the right directions:
open-grille.png

Generally speaking: enter the front of the case, exit the rear and top of it.

1080Ti is a 7 year old card... it could be that the previous seller never did a repaste; having run that long, it should've been done at least once, around the 4, maybe 5 year mark.
Has the cooler been cleaned of dust?
I never saw over 65C with the Gaming OC model, but then again, the vbios power limit is much lower in comparison to the Aorus ones(300w vs 375w); latter is going to be harder to cool and have more heat to displace, unless you give it the same 300w power limit, which would be 80%.

I’ve played a couple of days back and it was getting to the high 80s and maxing at 91°
Being as the Titan x Pascal is for all intent purposes the same card as the GTX 1080ti those are my normal tems as well.

I use MSI afterburner to boost the GPU fan when gaming. Some games just make the card run hotter than others but having control of the fan speed keeps everything happy.

Just a weird tidbit a dark black scene in a game will raise temps on card hard.

Case in point Serious Sam 3 when your in all the long dark halls your temps on card will boost.

Jun 1, 2024
Hi.
You've not told us what case it's in; we need to be sure the cooler isn't being choked. Oh, and be sure the fans are facing the right directions:
open-grille.png

Generally speaking: enter the front of the case, exit the rear and top of it.

1080Ti is a 7 year old card... it could be that the previous seller never did a repaste; having run that long, it should've been done at least once, around the 4, maybe 5 year mark.
Has the cooler been cleaned of dust?
I never saw over 65C with the Gaming OC model, but then again, the vbios power limit is much lower in comparison to the Aorus ones(300w vs 375w); latter is going to be harder to cool and have more heat to displace, unless you give it the same 300w power limit, which would be 80%.
Okay, I’ve got an update. Sounds weird I know, I’ve removed case lid(it was a glass one , and my temps went from 86° stable to 70°s, I think it’s the case airflow problem.
I’ve been testing it in Horizon Forbidden West on Mid settings with High on Textures, gives me stable 60 fps on 1440.
Repaste is coming, tho as I know it’ll probably reduce my temps at about 2-3° Celsius.
My power limit is around 250W, not Extreme version, just regular Aorus 1080 ti

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024
Being as the Titan x Pascal is for all intent purposes the same card as the GTX 1080ti those are my normal tems as well.

I use MSI afterburner to boost the GPU fan when gaming. Some games just make the card run hotter than others but having control of the fan speed keeps everything happy.

Just a weird tidbit a dark black scene in a game will raise temps on card hard.

Case in point Serious Sam 3 when your in all the long dark halls your temps on card will boost.
I maxed my fan speed at 80°+ cause I play in headphones and it’s not noisy for me at all.

Reactions: stonecarver

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, I’ve got an update. Sounds weird I know, I’ve removed case lid(it was a glass one , and my temps went from 86° stable to 70°s, I think it’s the case airflow problem.
Sure is. I'd still like to know what the case is - or take a picture or 2 and post it here so we can see the case fans and what the front panel is like. [If you post pics, you have to use an image hosting site like imgur.com, or nothing appears when you try to post.]

My power limit is around 250W, not Extreme version, just regular Aorus 1080 ti
Are you sure that's the limit, and not the TARGET?
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192365/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-170412-1
Board power limit
Target: 250.0 W
Limit: 375.0 W

Jun 1, 2024
Sure is. I'd still like to know what the case is - or take a picture or 2 and post it here so we can see the case fans and what the front panel is like. [If you post pics, you have to use an image hosting site like imgur.com, or nothing appears when you try to post.]

Are you sure that's the limit, and not the TARGET?
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192365/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-170412-1
Board power limit
Target: 250.0 W
Limit: 375.0 W
E5-E5-C1-E8-E7-B2-48-BC-9-CF9-E6481-A4-BDFA5.jpg

1112-A4-BA-566-F-4-E93-9292-8068-B051-A60-D.jpg

1: front
2: under case
3: inside
I’ve looked around the box and it seems that’s one of the NZXT models with stock fans. Also there was a front panel which I removed for better airflow(was purely covering front fans).
As I’ve mentioned above, I believe back, up and down fans are set to intake, while the front ones to exhaust.
And yup, you were right it was a Target value. I’ve said that from sensory data, the max W it was ever drawing was around 270W.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

1112-A4-BA-566-F-4-E93-9292-8068-B051-A60-D.jpg

1: front
2: under case
3: inside
I’ve looked around the box and it seems that’s one of the NZXT model with stock fans. Also there was a front panel which I removed for better airflow(was purely covering front fans).
As I’ve mentioned above, I believe back, up and down fans are set to intake, while the front ones to exhaust.
And yup, you were right it was a Target value. I’ve said that from sensory data, the max W it was ever drawing was around 270W.
NZXT S340 Elite, from the looks of it: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3TYWGX/nzxt-ca-s340w-b3-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-s340w-b3

That fan setup is the opposite of what's generally recommended.
I think I see why the gpu thermals got as high as they did. The current fan orientation is making it harder for the waste heat from the gpu to get out.

Jun 1, 2024
Is it fine to do that? Doesn’t it matter that my front fan is connected to CPU?
If yes, then I need to make up, down and back fans exhaust air, while the front one will pull the air in, right?😅

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it fine to do that? Doesn’t it matter that my front fan is connected to CPU?
Yes. I'm not sure what you meant by the 2nd question though.

If yes, then I need to make up, down and back fans exhaust air, while the front one will pull the air in, right?😅
Right - but down? I didn't see a down fan, unless you're talking about the power supply, which should be fan down.
Fan up isn't recommended, because the psu shroud is solid.

Jun 1, 2024
Yes. I'm not sure what you meant by the 2nd question though.

Right - but down? I didn't see a down fan, unless you're talking about the power supply, which should be fan down.
Fan up isn't recommended, because the psu shroud is solid.
As I understand it is connected to the cpu cooler, so I thought that my front fan exhausts hot air from cpu only, that’s why I’m asking.
Yes, that’s it! Power supply fan, should it also be set to exhaust instead of intake?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As I understand it is connected to the cpu cooler, so I thought that my front fan exhausts hot air from cpu only, that’s why I’m asking.
A little preheated air from the cpu side of things is not a big deal, as it doesn't use anywhere near as much energy as the gpu, and the latter's cooler is designed to dump all its waste heat in the PC.
AIOs are a little more more complex than air coolers - those fans on the radiator don't just serve the cpu, but they are also case fans.
With the front panel off, you can do a proper intake - also, there's no need to have filtered exhaust.

Power supply fan, should it also be set to exhaust instead of intake?
Bottom intake to rear exhaust is the only way to do it with the current case. It's completely independent from the air traffic in the rest of the case.

Reactions: SWIZ
Jun 1, 2024
A little preheated air from the cpu side of things is not a big deal, as it doesn't use anywhere near as much energy as the gpu, and the latter's cooler is designed to dump all its waste heat in the PC.
AIOs are a little more more complex than air coolers - those fans on the radiator don't just serve the cpu, but they are also case fans.
With the front panel off, you can do a proper intake - also, there's no need to have filtered exhaust.

Bottom intake to rear exhaust is the only way to do it with the current case. It's completely independent from the air traffic in the rest of the case.
Thanks a lot! I repasted my gpu, now it runs Heaven at 68° stable at 1940MHz with open case, I’ll try to resolve airflow issue, if not I don’t mind gaming with an open lid, however it’s a bit noisier that way.

Jun 1, 2024
All about finding a balance you're comfortable with.
Me, I set flat fan curves on all fans; they're running as high as I can comfortably tolerate. I could run them lower, but I personally don't see a reason to do it.
Okay, I did according to your advice(swapped all of my fans), my temps are all good now; CPU also lost 3-4 degrees as a nice bonus.
I can’t believe that’s the same case! Gonna test without the lid, however I don’t expect much of a change at that point.