Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
system specs are:
I7 5930k OC to 4ghz
32gb DDR4 ram
Asus x99 motherboard
PNY GTX 1080TI
1440P G-Sync monitor

I'm seeing very low performance. Heaven FPS is around 55 in the begging frames.
Many games can't even be run at their highest settings without settling around 30fps.
battlefield 1 runs at around 37 on pretty high settings but not maxed out.
not really sure what the problem is here, but it's very frustrating.
This card is brand new, so I have the latest drivers installed.
Even when I overclock the card i'm still seeing sub-par performance.

(oh and all of this is with g-sync disabled)

Any thoughts??

Solution
So the solution here is actually a pretty simple one. After removing the GPU entirely, I notices that 2 of the 4 PCIe slots are actually only x8 even though they appear to be the same as the other x16 slots. Once I noticed that there were only half as many lanes in the full sized slot where the graphics card was placed, I switched it to the true x16 slot and the issues were resolved. Thanks for the input. No idea why Asus would manufacture a board with two slots that run at x8, but appear to be x16.

FnaticMeister

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016

I hope that 65 degrees is the temps under load. If you're getting 65 degrees when you're card is running idle, there's a problem.

If you have graphics or driver issues, one of the most common fixes is a clean uninstall and removal of your graphics drivers.

To uninstall your drivers, first download and run Display Driver Uninstaller, and follow it's recommendations of booting into safe mode and ect.
(This is a direct download link so you don't grab the wrong version)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

You'll download a compressed file called "[Guru3D.com]-DDU.zip"
Right click and choose extract.
Go into the folder and run the DDU v##.##.exe
This will extract more files to this folder.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe
Choose Yes when it asks you to boot into SafeMode.
After you've rebooted into safe mode.
When DDU comes up, if it hasn't selected your GPU manufacturer (Nvidia/AMD/Intel) then choose it from the drop down list
Press the Clean and Restart option
If a window comes up asking to disable the Windows automatic installation of display drivers click yes.

After (or before removing the old drivers, just put the new ones on the desktop or somewhere handy) rebooting back into Windows, manually download the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD, don't use auto detect, choose you GPU model and OS from the drop down lists.
Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Intel: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

YoungSandwich69

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
okay drivers are reinstalled, and still not seeing any differences. 1080TI idles at around 56c, and gets up to 82c under a heavy load (reference coolers aren't the best) and CPU idles at 31c, but it's on liquid.
Whats weird is that I dealt with the same issues when I had my GTX1080. I bought my GTX1080 right before the TI was released, so it is not old at all. Both cards were bought brand new.
Anyways, when I first built my system, I used a xeon that I had laying around (xeon e5 4655v3) after seeing slow performance with my 1080 I upgraded to a 5930k because I thought the xeon's low clock speed was holding back my GPU.
Didn't notice any graphics changes. So, I decided to buy a 1080TI, and now i'm having the same issues again. The gtx 1080 ti is only performing about 5% better than the 1080 that I had which makes absolutely no sense to me.

This is just about everything. Any other ideas based on the past issues?

YoungSandwich69

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
Well, I have 4 different SSD's so I might just try installing to one of those so that I don't have to wipe my main boot drive. Where would you think the hardware issue is? Should I try a different PCIe slot? I just find it hard for the gpu to have issues, especially since this is the second case

RSxx

Prominent
May 30, 2017
I would suggest that you run heaven benchmark in window mode and Monitor what exactly your GPU is doing with precision x.
Watch for Clock speed, temps and Power throttling.

YoungSandwich69

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
So the solution here is actually a pretty simple one. After removing the GPU entirely, I notices that 2 of the 4 PCIe slots are actually only x8 even though they appear to be the same as the other x16 slots. Once I noticed that there were only half as many lanes in the full sized slot where the graphics card was placed, I switched it to the true x16 slot and the issues were resolved. Thanks for the input. No idea why Asus would manufacture a board with two slots that run at x8, but appear to be x16.

Solution