Question Gtx 1080 TI Kraken G12 temps are getting higher than average

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
To start of, from what I saw on reviews on the 1080ti using a 120mm AIO, the average temp I’m people got under max load was under 50c. I installed a 120mm AIO cooler on my 1080ti and placed the radiator and fans in a push/pull config in the rear of the case. As I was in amazon looking a certified purchaser review. They used a 120m AIO and the kraken g12 on their 1080ti with only one fan as Intake. They then benchmarked their system in Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and got a max temp of 48c and a score of 4346. However for me, i used a OC on my GPU with +50 on the clock and my GPU got up to 58c??? and got a score of 4126? So this tells me, that he uses the same exact card with the same cooling, and i get worse performance and temperatures? People may not be uncomfortable with those temps but it is not for me. How am I getting less performance when I have a better AIO setup than him and have a OC’D 1080TI, AND HE GETS A BETTERSCORE THAN ME? can someone please explain this? I should be getting a better score than him? I should be getting the same temp than him. WHAT IS HAPPENING???

Last edited:
Do you know the entire system he was using and exact card?
Did he use the standard test or change some settings?
What drivers was he on? Ive seen scores change just from newer drivers.
What room temps/case temps did he have?

So you put a +50 on the clock, did you do anything to the memory? You're using a AIO on the gpu chip are you using anything to cool the memory chips?

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017

So you put a +50 on the clock, did you do anything to the memory? You're using a AIO on the gpu chip are you using anything to cool the memory chips?

Good Questions

His exact card was the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11GB GDDR5X 23.21.13.8831 (The exact same card as mine) and was using the i7 8700k at 3.7GHz while I have a i7 7700k at 4.2GHz, but still, that does not explain a 10c difference in the gpu and performance. His platform was Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64 bit.

He did not change any setting, his settings are the exact same as mine
Render: Direct3D11
Mode: 1600x900 8xAA Windowed
Preset: Extreme

If he is able to install something as complicated as a kraken g12 and an AIO on a 1080TI, he obviously keeps his drivers to date. His review was posted on September 2018, I looked up nvidia game ready drivers from that timeslot and found a Geforce Game Ready Driver that released Sept, 10th 2018, which was the latest one before Sept 16th, so it is very safe to assume he was using that Driver. https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/137727/en-us

He didn't list his room temps, but COMPLETELY ASSUMING he lives in the United States, and it is september 16th, so fall has not started yet between 17c-24c which is about the same if not, my ambient temps are lower than his today. Idk about his case temps, but he did say he put his 120mm AIO and the bottom vent of his case.

Yes, of course i swiped the memory up. I put Mem Clock +150. and YES OF COURSE im using something o cool the vrm/vram on the pcb lol. If you did not know the G12 has a built-in vrm cooler next to the pump, but not only did i use that to cool the vrms/vram I PUT ALUMINUM AND COPPER HEATSINKS ON THEM, which some of the people who actually used the G12 on their gpu might call "overboard" but i wanted to cool my precious GPU to get the best performance and temps and a quieter fan then the terrible stock reference cooler on the founders edition. Also it is important to list that the reviewer's clocked in at 1911mhz and mem clock was 5505mhz.

So in conclusion, it doesnt make sense to me how we have to exact same card and both use 120mm aio's yet im getting less performance then HIM with an OC on my card and it doesnt make even more sense that hes getting more than ALMOST 20c LESS THAN ME, i just benched it again and i got up to 66c ON STOCK AND STILL GOT LESS OF A SCORE WTF!!!but he still OUTPERFORMS THE SAME CARD. But im not going to give up, i need to figure out why hes outperforming my OC'd card and getting 20c less then me with a 120mm aio at the same time, then achieve what hes getting. Im going to install the said driver and measure the difference then post them here. There is no clear reason if it comes to the card, ambient temps, pump, fans thermal paste, drivers on why he is getting 20 degrees less than me.

Last edited:

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
https://prnt.sc/sqdm7q This is the benchmark with NVIDIA driver 445.87
https://prnt.sc/sqdmxd The "latest" driver 446.14
https://prnt.sc/sqdmhq The amazon reviewers score
https://prnt.sc/sqdmrs my score with Sept 10th, 2018 driver 399.24

As you can see, this still does not solve my problem, even though i got a higher score than the reviewer by 41 points. My gpu got up to 66C!!! And his is still 48c, i dont get what the problem is. Ik i intalled everything correctly, from applying thermal paste to screwing in the radiator.

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017

Ok idk if this is worth seeing but the reviewer was using a Corsair H55 and I was using an evga ClC 120. The almost 20c difference in temps might be because the evga AIO was designed for current and future gen intel CPU’s and is not listed as compatible with the kraken g12, although it does fit and make a difference, it cannot get as good at temps as the h55 because it’s not meant to be compatible to be used on a gpu. That is the only explanation to this anomaly