GTX 1080 TI - Low FPS Normal?

bdikkal

Honorable
Dec 16, 2018
Hello everyone.

I checked similar threads but because other users experiencing a similar problem had different (mostly lower end) cpu's in other threads, I've decided to open a new one. Hopefully someone can help me (or at least tell me that I am not actually having an issue).

I have recently put together a new PC but so far I have the feeling that I am not getting my money's worth for some reason.

GTX 1080Ti - MSI Gaming Trio X
I7 9700K (I am not oc'ing at the moment)
Asus Prime z390A
2 x 8GB 3000 Mhz ram (XMP II so they do work at 3000 Mhz) (Corsair Vengeance I think)
Corsair RM750i PSU - Connecting 2 seperate power cables to the gpu (instead of 1 cable with 2 ends)
I know I need to change it but I have a 25" Samsung monitor (60 hz)
I am monitoring cpu & gpu temperatures and they seem normal. The maximum I have seen is 70 degrees for gpu and less than that for cpu.
I am also running the games on a Samsung SSD.

I haven't played a lot of games but I don't think I am getting the fps rate I should be getting with this set up. Correct me if I am wrong but since my monitor is 60hz. I cannot get above 60fps (I am using msi afterburner - steam fps counter to monitor it) but I should be getting a steady 60fps for most games right?

Xcom 2: This is where my fps rate suffers the most. I mean the minimum requirements for this game is pretty low. Although game play is overall very smooth and my fps is 60, at the beginning of missions (the cut scene where they rope down the ship) and sometimes during game play my fps goes down to 20's or 30's for up to 10 - 15 seconds (I've got nothing running in the background). It is almost as if I was using an HDD and copying a big file while playing. Or there was an explosion and so much is happening in the screen and your cpu or ram can't handle it) Now this doesn't happen all the time, but shouldn't it happen at all? Seeing when this game was released and looking at the requirements, shouldn't I be getting a steady 60 fps with this set up?

Hitman 2: When I do the game's own benchmark, my highest fps is around 140. Average is 48ish. And lowest fps is around 9. During benchmark, the video plays smoothly and I don't see any stuttering so I don't know where that minimum 9 fps is coming from. During game play, I usually get a fixed 60 fps but at times it goes down to 40's and you can tell that the game is... well not running very smoothly when it goes down. Just like it happens when I am playing xcom 2.

Pro Evolution Soccer: This is the only game where I get a steady 60 fps. But then again, I was getting a steady 60 fps with my previous pc on this game (i7 4790k - gtx 1060).

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or is this even a problem and are these frame rates to be expected?

Was it a fresh installation of windows? Have mobo drivers been installed? GPU drivers from Nvidia themselves (not MSI or Microsoft).

What actual clock speeds is the card reaching, and the CPU? Do these clockspeeds vary in line with the slow downs? What power plan do you have set?

bdikkal

Honorable
Dec 16, 2018

Thanks for your reply and questions.

It was not a fresh installation of windows. I used the same SSD that I used with my previous pc. I turned the new pc on for the first time, it worked so I didn't bother to reinstall windows (perhaps that's what is wrong?)

Somebody built the pc for me, I believe MOBO drivers were installed but I will check.

I installed the latest gpu drivers from NVidia's website.

When I do benchmarks, cpu goes up to 4,6 ghz without oc. I might be wrong but I think gpu clock speed during benchmarks is around 1750. Does that sound right? I also remember using msi afterburner to oc the gpu and at 2000 it seemed to work fine without issues. Tho I have seen the benchmark test crash (stopping in the middle of it and going back to the desktop) when I pushed it above 2050. That being said these are the figures from benchmarks. I haven't actually checked clock speed during game play and I do not know at what speeds cpu and gpu work when I have these drop in frame rates. I guess that is something else for me to check.

I am not sure what you mean by power plan (I am a noob pc enthusiast) but if you mean the power supply,
- Corsair RM750i PSU - Connecting 2 seperate power cables to the gpu (instead of 1 cable with 2 ends) - this is my power plan.

I'd be 95%certain that the previous installation is the problem, can a spare drive install windows, see what happens, ONLY have that drive connected whilst installing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, it might not be the answer in the end, but it's difficult to tell when you're slapping an old OS onto completely different hardware. Unless you have a very specific niche version meant to be portable (such as Windows To Go), significant hardware changes mean a full wipe and reinstall.

It's hard to diagnose it being another problem until this is remedied. Whoever did your build for you cut a corner and ignored best practices.

bdikkal

Honorable
Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for following up. I went ahead and formatted the main drive - had been using it for a long time anyway. The Asus thingy popped up upon installation anyway and i downloaded the motherboard driver using that, minus some offered utilities like norton security, etc. Also downloaded the most up to date gpu drivers from nvidia. I work overseas and can download on average 1 mb / sec, so one game takes around 5 to 7 hours to download. Left the pc on so will have a few games ready when i get home in the evening.

I also oc'ed the gpu using msi gaming app and ran the unigine heaven benchmark. Working at 1999 mhz, temp was low 70's, had a maximum fps of 300, average 150 and low 9. Max and average sound right i think. Not sure if low is too low but was watching the video as the benchmark ran and never felt like 9fps at any point.

Unigine heaven was ran at max settings: ultra, full screen, etc.

bdikkal

Honorable
Dec 16, 2018

Looks like the 'issue' persists even after the new windows install. Userbenchmark,com says the gpu performs great - pretty much every component performs 'above expectations - if not well above'. All the benchmarks i try (unigine, hitman 2) run very smoothly, max fps in 300's, average around 150, tho low is usually 8-9, but like I said before the video just runs very smoothly. Wherever I get that 8-9 fps, I just cannot notice it. Tho i did try metro last light, a 2013 title, and with all the settings set to max, my frame rate was often just under 60, even though the game seemed to run very smoothly. So benchmarks, avergae fps around 150, but never get that in games.

As I said before, I have a 60hz, 1080p monitor. I was planning to get a 2560 x 1440 144hz monitor. Does that mean my fps will go even lower with that monitor? Or because the 1080ti is supposed to handle even 4k, should I expect the same fps with a 2560 x 1440 monitor (already given up hope on higher fps)? It also makes me think, if the highest fps I seem to get is around 70 - and often lower than that - does it make sense to invest in a 144hz monitor? Or should I save some money by still going for 2560 x 1440 (or even 4k) but stay at 60hz?

And also, it seems I have to pay more for a g-sync monitor, compared to one with the same specs, minus g-sync. My understanding is g-sync helps stop tearing when you get more fps from your gpu than your monitor can handle. Seeing my fps is 70 maximum in games, do I really need g-sync? I mean if i get a 144hz monitor, and my gpu doesnt give me that kind of fps, than isn't getting a g-sync monitor somewhat a waste of money?