GTX 1080 Ti OC Edition constantly working at 106%

oktavbora

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
MUqrlzT.jpg

Hey guys, last rig I purchased was back in 2010 so I'm a bit clueless here.
Is it normal for this card to run at 106% gpu speed when it's idling? Shouldn't it be like 5% since I'm not running anything.
Is this temp. ok for an idling card? It was mid 50's before I turned off the 0 db fan feature. Is it even useful since 56 degrees is terrible for an idling card I think.
Also sometimes I'm having less than 60 fps on 4k resolution in some games such as Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Quantum Break. (Ultra Preset on both) Is this normal? I've been told by the guy that I should never drop below 60 with this card.
I also have i5 7600K and 16 GB DDR4 Ram if that matters.
Thanks for helping a noob out.
Pic related.

It is a misunderstanding of what that 106% means. It means it is overclocked by 6%, not what it is sitting at currently. However sitting idle on the desktop you would expect it to downclock to save power. If it sitting idle at 50c+ it means it isn't downclocking properly this could be because you have it hooked up to a 4k monitor or you have geforce experience installed with the overlay active or even a driver bug. Multiple displays can cause this as well. Make sure everything is set to default in the GeForce control panel, you can also try using DDU to remove the driver and reinstall the latest one to make sure it is good. Try it without GeForce Experience to see if the card will downclock normally.

And yes, playing demanding games on a 4k monitor with everything turned up will result in less than a solid 60FPS, if you wish to maintain high FPS at that resolution you will need to turn down the details.

oktavbora

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
hey man, yea when i disabled the "0 db fan" feature, the temp. went down to low 30's so that feature was the culprit and like you said i must have misunderstood what 106% stood for.

thanks for the reply.

But 0db isn't the culprit. With 0db on, you should be seeing similar temps with it off. It is caused by the card not downclocking.

When the card doesn't go into the idle state it will slowly increase in temp until it reaches about 58c. The fans will turn on and cool it down for a little while and turn off. Then the same thing happens, it slowly heats back up and the cycle begins again. When it downclocks at idle, you should see similar temps to your CPU (35c - 40c) and stay there (and fan will be off with 0db) until load is applied.

oktavbora

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
might be because the preset is set to gaming mode in the settings like in the pic.

but when i turn on the silent mode on, that value changes to 104%. gaming mode is 106% and OC mode is 107%

what do you mean about the geforce experience? i thought it was only for optimizing games and downloading new drivers

i rarely ever run it

Those settings only affect the max clock speed, that is it. 104% applies a 4% overclock, 106% applies a 6% overclock and 107% applies a 7% overclock, that is the only thing that number means. It doesn't change dynamically based on current clock speed, for example when sitting idle at 200 MHz, that number will still stay 106%, 104% or 107% whatever you have it set on.

GeForce experience has ShadowPlay overlay that runs automatically.

oktavbora

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
i have 2 monitors but one of em is unplugged.

i wonder if it ll go back to normal if i turn off this OC program but then i'll have no way of knowing the clock speeds

is there another way to check it?