GTX 1080 Ti peformance issues in Battlefield 1

Omar Little

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Hey,
I recently bought a used EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2. The owner bought it about 6 months ago but didn't use it much. I tested a bunch of games and it runs great. I get about 100 fps in average in The Witcher 3 at 1440p with max. settings and hairworks turned off. I compared this with other benchmarks on youtube and they get about the same results. I'm using an Intel i5 7500 and 16GB of DDR4 2400Mhz Ram. My motherboard is an MSI B350 Bazooka. I Overclocked my GPU to a clock of 2025Mhz and Memory Clock to 6000Mhz.
Also i benchmarked Unigine Heaven at 1440p with max settings and got a score of 2439 and avg. FPS of 97.

Despite these results, which seems to be in line with the average peformance of a GTX 1080 Ti, i have massive peformance issues in BF1. My previous GPU was an AMD Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro. I was able to play BF1 at 1440p with high settings and TAA at something between 60-80 fps in multiplayer. Sometimes it dropped below 60 fps but usually it stayed above it. Keep in mind that the R9 Fury has a peformance somewhere between the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070. With my GTX 1080 Ti at 1440p and high settings, i get about 80 fps on average. And that's when i'm not even in the battle. In battle it frequently drops below 40 fps. Sometimes the fps go up to 130 but just for a second and then it drops back down. It's just so bizarre that my R9 Fury peformed better than my 1080 Ti. As soon as i'm in battle the fps drop below 60 fps and the game becomes unplayable.

I basically played around with every setting but peformance barely changed. Even at 720p i had average fps of about 70-80 with my Ti. So i have no idea what the problem might be. I just don't understand how my average fps in The Witcher 3 with even hairworks on is better than my average fps in Battlefield 3 with high settings. Is my CPU bottlenecking? But shouldn't my fps in that case still be higher than with my R9 Fury? This really pisses me off and i hope someone has an idea what the issue might be. I really should be getting average fps of 120 not 70-80. Sorry for this long text but i felt that i had to describe the problem in detail.
Hope you can help.

Solution
I will just sum things up as fast as I can for you:

You have (for the next month) one of the fastest GPU's on the market paired with a CPU that barely meets the minimum required for BF1. BF1 eats 4 core CPU's for breakfast.

The minimum CPU required is an i5 6600k (and that's for single player, multiplayer is even more demanding). Your CPU barely meets that.

If you install EVGA Precision and turn on the on-screen display, you'll see all 4 cores of your CPU probably maxed at 100% usage.

mgallo848

Commendable
I will just sum things up as fast as I can for you:

You have (for the next month) one of the fastest GPU's on the market paired with a CPU that barely meets the minimum required for BF1. BF1 eats 4 core CPU's for breakfast.

The minimum CPU required is an i5 6600k (and that's for single player, multiplayer is even more demanding). Your CPU barely meets that.

If you install EVGA Precision and turn on the on-screen display, you'll see all 4 cores of your CPU probably maxed at 100% usage.

Solution