Question GTX 1080 Ti Performance Seems To Have Dropped

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
About a year ago, I played quite a bit of Kingdom Come Deliverance. Had good fun, and importantly, good performance. Ran the game in ultra, 1440p borderless, at 60 fps. Brilliant.

A couple days ago, I started playing KCD again. I wanted to experience the game differently, so I installed a number of mods, including an ENB which adds some postprocess effects and corrections to improve the game's visuals. I started a new game, and was horrified to find my game chugging at 14 FPS.

I immediately assumed it was the ENB, so I uninstalled the ENB completely. The performance was still poor (~14 FPS). I then removed all the mods. The performance was still poor. In a final act of desperation, I completely uninstalled the game, deleted the entire KingdomComeDeliverance folder from Steamapps\Common, and reinstalled it from scratch. The performance is still poor. At LOW settings, I only get ~50 FPS.

I've closed all background processes, and looking in WTM, the CPU is at around 40% utilisation (all cores), and the GPU at 100% flat. RAM utilisation is nowhere near maxed out either.

My spec:
  • i7 6700k, 4.0 GHz
  • GTX 1080 Ti
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHz
  • Rendering in 2560x1440p
At first I thought this was just a KCD issue, and then I noticed that I was getting 50-60 frames in Arma 3, when before I had got ~110. As I've gone back to many other games to check, I've noticed my framerate is significantly lower than I remember it being in the past. Some games such as Kingdom Come are nigh unplayable, which is entirely inappropriate for this card, rendering at this resolution, at reasonable settings.

Again, I hadn't changed any graphics settings for about a year. It's as if the power of my card has just halved over the last year, but there is no technical explanation for this occurring. I only de-dusted my PC about a month ago, and was particularly thorough about the GPU and its heatsinks. It's not a thermal issue, because the card is at ~65°C under full load, and according to HWMonitor, the clock speed is almost exactly what the NVIDIA website spec page says it should be (a little over, actually, but I'm guessing this is due to the MSI card having a slight 'factory' overclock)... so it's not throttling or 'downclocked'. I've not made any hardware changes over the last year, either.

Any idea what's going on here, anyone? Am I imagining it? It certainly doesn't feel like it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
try updating ur gpu drivers. could also be an issue thru nvidia control panel, it might of set it to optimal power for that game. also, the latest windows 10 update has destroyed gaming performance, so that could be why too. hope this helps

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
try updating ur gpu drivers. could also be an issue thru nvidia control panel, it might of set it to optimal power for that game. also, the latest windows 10 update has destroyed gaming performance, so that could be why too. hope this helps

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Checked NVIDIA Control Panel, and you were right, it had set it to optimal power. Changed it to 'prefer maximum performance', but it made no difference anyway, sadly. Probably because the GPU was already working flat-out. All my GPU drivers are up-to-date, but I might try deleting them and reinstalling them.

What Win 10 update was that? Why did it affect gaming performance?

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
This is what HWMonitor has to say about my GPU. Spot anything weird there?

c28f5855ce.png

Mar 22, 2019
Windows 10 Version 1809 (KB4482887) is the update that messed up performance, escpecially in older games supposedly. im not sure why it affects performance but there are many people saying that it does, so try to revert to an older update if you have that ^. try running the game through geforce experience as well to see what it thinks ur optimal settings are.

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
Btw, if you're not familiar with HWMonitor, the left column is the current value, the middle column is the min value recorder, and the right hand column is the max value recorder. Sadly, HWMonitor doesn't record the average value, which would at times be nice to know for things like temp.

Edit: so it lets me edit this comment, but not the one with the image in it

Mar 22, 2019
check your windows settings power usage config too. go to type to search and type in "edit power plan", then go to "power options" and make sure it isnt set to optimal power. other than that, i have no clue! sorry.