[SOLVED] GTX 1080 TI Water pump stopped working

zamana

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
I'm having a issue where the water pump on my GTX 1080 TI Hybrid will not turn on, and I have tried ALOT of things to fix this issue.

Originally I had the issue on a 1080 FTW hybrid and I did a RMA to the GTX 1080 TI , And another final RMA to another GTX 1080 TI. So Its not the card itself,
The next step I thought was MOBO, So I replaced the MOBO and built a new pc with New MOBO, Processor, Ram, and PSU.
Still have issue
I did a troubleshooting of windows 10 and did a system restore but keep files.
After the restore I did a clean install of the drivers and new EVGA Precision X1 software

Here I am and I still have the issue. What do I do next to troubleshoot this issue? I'm out of idea's

Solution
Each graphics card that has been RMA'D has been RMA'D into a brand new one, so the pump has been replaced twice, And the issue persists with a brand new card. The pump and radiator on this model is a self contained all in one, There's no assembly required it comes built into the card. The fans turn on on the card and radiator, and the fans can be adjusted through software fine, but even in idle booting up the pc the card will start to heat up to 80+C doing no stress. The graphics card is secure in the motherboard ( And previous mother board) It has both 8 pin power connectors in them as well.
If everything was functioning properly you would not be getting those temperatures. There are only a few possibilities, some of which I...
The pump is either dead or the liquid in the cooler is sludge / blocked. You need to get a replacement cooler. Either EVGA thought they fixed it 2-3 times by doing everything but actually fixing it or you are not doing something basic right. Make sure all the graphics card cables are plugged into the motherboard or checking that all the cables on the cooler itself for the GPU are plugged into the graphics card PCB.

On the same note, just to be sure, how is it that you know specifically that the pump on the card will not turn on?

zamana

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
The pump is either dead or the liquid in the cooler is sludge / blocked. You need to get a replacement cooler. Either EVGA thought they fixed it 2-3 times by doing everything but actually fixing it or you are not doing something basic right. Make sure all the graphics card cables are plugged into the motherboard or checking that all the cables on the cooler itself for the GPU are plugged into the graphics card PCB.

On the same note, just to be sure, how is it that you know specifically that the pump on the card will not turn on?
Each graphics card that has been RMA'D has been RMA'D into a brand new one, so the pump has been replaced twice, And the issue persists with a brand new card. The pump and radiator on this model is a self contained all in one, There's no assembly required it comes built into the card. The fans turn on on the card and radiator, and the fans can be adjusted through software fine, but even in idle booting up the pc the card will start to heat up to 80+C doing no stress. The graphics card is secure in the motherboard ( And previous mother board) It has both 8 pin power connectors in them as well.

If everything was functioning properly you would not be getting those temperatures. There are only a few possibilities, some of which I have already gone over. Ill start a list from most likely to least, and you can pick and choose from there to discuss if you would like.
  1. The pump does not work mechanically, meaning there is a physical defect or underlying issue involving the electromechanical operation of the pump.
  2. The pump has no water in the tubes or is somewhere clogged to the point of no water flow.
  3. The cooling apparatus is in some manner not properly attached to or installed onto the GPU.
  4. There was no thermal paste applied to the GPU.
  5. There is a defect related to power delivery on the PCB.
  6. The BIOS on the GPU is corrupted in a manner that allows either unregulated power or very slow or no pump operation regardless of GPU temperature.
  7. There is a rouge or corrupted fan curve that is being defaulted to caused by some corrupt software that minimizes the cooling efficacy of the graphics card.
  8. The temperature sensor is giving a false or incorrect reading of the cards GPU temperature.
How long does it take your graphics card to hit 80 C after turning it on? Are you sure the temperature you are reading are in C and not F? Is the cards GPU backside physically hot to the touch when reported temperatures are 80+ (make sure to where an antistatic wrist strap or ground yourself before you touch it!)?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution