GTX 1080 vs 1080Ti is it worth? Coming from Dual Radeon r9 290x

frostvideos2399

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hey everyone!
As the title suggests. I'm in the market for a new GPU. I'm trying to figure out which one has more bang for it's buck over my old GPU. I also have a new build to go along with it but i want to get the opinions of some of the others around here:) I am currently playing on Dual 1080p 22 inch asus monitors but plan on upgrading to something higher/better later on down the road.

If anyone is interested in the NEW build here it is. It's all finalized except for the GPU.
CPU: Core i7 7700k
RAM: 32GB (4x8) DDR4
MBD: Asus Maximus IX Hero
PSU: 1200w

And if you want to compare anything here is the OLD (Current) build:
CPU: Core i7 4770k
RAM: 32gb DDR3
MBD: Asus Maximus Vii Hero
PSU: 1200w
GPU: 2x HIS Radeon r9 290x2

Solution
I agree with the option to sell your 290X cards. AMD is great at number crunching and the nonexistent currency number crunchers are at it again, so, your cards should be easy to sell.

I had thought about mentioning this, and I am glad burgess did. I just looked at ebay and cards with less than 1 day until bidding stops the 290X is selling from $150 to ~ $250 for used and sold by private individuals. In this instance the reference card is selling for higher than most.

Again, AMD produces great looking video and the only reason I would purchase a GTX 1080 Ti is smoother gaming, less chop in some games. As to your two 290X cards and heat, you have very good computer case cooling with the HAF 932, as you know.

Knowing from past...
For 1080p your current computer is fine, especially if you have you i7 4770K running at least 4.0GHz. In February I had to upgrade my computer because the motherboard was dying. It was an i5 3570K at 4.0GHz and the only advantage in most gaming was the extra speed from the i7 7700K I replaced it with.

The i7 7700K needed more voltage than my i5 3570K and for games that do not use more than 4 cores the improvement was linear, not a bell curve in performance.

The biggest performance difference was in content creation. At 5.0 or 5.1 GHz my delidded i7 7700K was considerably faster.

Because you have an i7 4770K I suggest you overclock it a little, and watch your heat, I do not know what cooler you are using or how good your case air flow is. [An Noctua NH-14S or NH-12S for smaller cases are outstanding coolers for overclocking - just check your RAM height, or move the fan up a little on the cooler to provide room for tall RAM sticks on some motherboards].

I use a single 40 inch monitor that is driven by my MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning that performs on par with a GTX 1080 3DMark Fire Strike in graphics score.

A GTX 1080 will be fine for 1440p if that is what you want for a monitor. Do not expect much of a FPS boost in games that fully support dual Radeon 290X. A single card solution is good for games that run smoother with a single card.

There is no current single card solution powerful enough to run all games maxed out for scenery at 4K. Nvidia's Volta might do it, however, they have pushed that card back because AMD did not beat their 1080 Ti, so, Nvidia is milking the Ti series, possibly until next year.

In summation:

If you want to upgrade to a single video card now, pick up a single video card, overclock your CPU between 4.0 GHz and 4.5 GHz [lots of videos on YouTube as to how to do it] and purchase the GTX 1080 Ti. Your CPU will run a GTX 1080 Ti just fine, and you will save money.

One other point if you decide to spend the extra money and get the i7 7700K and 32GB of RAM, get 2 sticks of RAM not 4. Fewer sticks of RAM is easier on all of the subsystems, including the MOSFET on the motherboard utilized for RAM.

I know this is a long post. It is very late here, 1:40 a.m. and I hope I did not go overboard with my information.

frostvideos2399

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

I wanted to but i'm hearing that the new 8th gen i7s/i5s will need a new type of motherboard cpu socket to run. this means i'd have to wait for a compatible Maximus mbd if it is true ;(

frostvideos2399

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Great post lots of good info! I currently cool my CPU via Corsairs h100i v2 water cooler. It offers me some great temp reduction. and for my case i use the HAF 932 which has superb cooling with giant fans and lots of space. ( my radiator fans for the AIO acts as an intake for cold air from my surroundings so it gets the entire system to run colder too.)
Currently clocked at 4.01 Ghz
And i may pick up the single Ti and hold onto it for a bit and see what happens...

As for the statement about ram, that is some good info. I've always been told that getting 4 ram sticks to equal 32gb is less stress than running 2 16gb sticks.

I was in the computer hardware industry for over 30 years and have a vast background in both education and hands on experience. Whomever told you that 4 sticks of RAM produces less stress than 2 sticks of RAM [on a motherboard such as an Intel Z77, Z87 through Z270 and so on] have no clue about computer hardware, and I would view everything they say about computers with suspicion.

In my above post I mentioned the MOSFET dedicated to RAM, there is also the memory controller that will be worked harder.

I am glad I could help.

You have a good system now and the only reason I would personally upgrade to a GTX 1080 Ti is if you get some chop in games that is caused by your dual 290X cards.

Your AMD video cards produce vibrant colors and outstanding video quality, which is more obvious on large screens like mine.

A someone who ran 390s in xfire and now has a 1080. Yes..in every way. The sheer heat and xfire effort alone....not to mention 1x 1080 is almost as quick as 2x290s if they were working perfectly in xfire. Which they don't of course.

Up to you...but you'll get cash for the 290s....

I agree with the option to sell your 290X cards. AMD is great at number crunching and the nonexistent currency number crunchers are at it again, so, your cards should be easy to sell.

I had thought about mentioning this, and I am glad burgess did. I just looked at ebay and cards with less than 1 day until bidding stops the 290X is selling from $150 to ~ $250 for used and sold by private individuals. In this instance the reference card is selling for higher than most.

Again, AMD produces great looking video and the only reason I would purchase a GTX 1080 Ti is smoother gaming, less chop in some games. As to your two 290X cards and heat, you have very good computer case cooling with the HAF 932, as you know.

Knowing from past experience would I go from an R9 290X [or two of them] to a GTX 1080 Ti for use with a 40+ inch 1080p 60Hz monitor? No. If the large screen was 1080p 120Hz/144Hz or 1440p at 60HZ, then I would get the GTX 1080 Ti.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS