[SOLVED] GTX 1080 vs RTX 2070, in 2019

Hasenn

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
uk.pcpartpicker.com
I am looking for building a new PC when I get into UK (in around 3 months). The pricing is a quite interesting at this point:
GTX 1080 ~ £330
RTX 2070 ~ £470

I am planning to pair it with a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x.
I am not sure what monitor I'm going to get (ultra-wide 21:9 1080p, or a 16:9 2k). Either way, something more powerful than a simple 1080p, and with a higher refresh rate (minimum 75hz).

Which GPU shuld I buy, and why?

Solution
Okat. That's a very good high-end PSU. No worries with it.

Btw, yes, the price difference is indeed there between these two Models. The TECH is new when it comes to RTX. If you don't want to play ray tracing games on high settings, then you can grab the GTX 1080 as well. I just EDITED my previous post.

IMO, apart from all the above factors, it seems we are basically paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium. I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc. But to take proper advantage of this hardware, very few games and software are currently out in the market. So...
Assuming you have the budget, and want to go for 2K, get for the RTX 2070 GPU. It's going to be more future-proof as well, at least when it comes to ray tracing/DLSS. Do you also have a compatible PSU with you ?

The biggest difference between the 2070 and 1080 when the former first launched was price. There was more than $100 between them in some cases. But the performance difference between these cards isn't that much.

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-rtx-2070-vs-geforce-gtx-1080

Last edited:

Hasenn

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
uk.pcpartpicker.com
Okat. That's a very good high-end PSU. No worries with it.

Btw, yes, the price difference is indeed there between these two Models. The TECH is new when it comes to RTX. If you don't want to play ray tracing games on high settings, then you can grab the GTX 1080 as well. I just EDITED my previous post.

IMO, apart from all the above factors, it seems we are basically paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium. I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc. But to take proper advantage of this hardware, very few games and software are currently out in the market. So basically the hardware won't get fully utilized (if we think from this perspective).

Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream. As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well.

Still, it's good to see new Tech being released. With time things might settle down a bit, and the performance gain might be there when DLSS and Ray Tracing features are enabled.

Reactions: Hasenn
Solution

Hasenn

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
uk.pcpartpicker.com
Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream. As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well.

I understand. I'm gonna buy all the stuff I need somewhere in august - september this year; till then, at events like E3, we might see a lot of news regarding games / engines using Ray-tracing, prices getting more balanced for the GPUs and so on. The answer of which to buy between these two should become a lot more clear by that point. Thank you for your answer!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.