[SOLVED] GTX 1080 with BENQ EX3501R

Kestak

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
Greetings,

I have been out of the IT loop for a few years and, as you all know, things changes very rapidly.

My configuration is simple:
Alienware Aurora R6 i7-7700 3600 Mhz 16GB RAM SSF hard drive
NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB RAM
BENQ EX3501R
Windows 10
All drivers and Windows updates current

Only game I play is Path of Exile. In fact, that computer is exclusively dedicated to that single game. The only other softwares that run on that computer are AHK (Auto Hotkey) and Chrome.
Of course, the resolution is 3440x1440. I tried many different setups in the game and I ended up setting the game setup Vsync disabled and Framerate cap to 100 9Monitor is 100 MHz).

When there is a minimum of action on the screen, the frame rate is around 74. When there is a lot of action the frame rate is going down to the 30s. When I just walk around and look at the writing on the screen (for example NPC names) it is all blurry. The frame of the game(life, potions, icons on top, etc never suffers that kid of distortion blurriness). It looks like it is another layer on top of the game layer. I think it is called ghosting or stuttering.

Is the lack of "quality" and frame rate because my video card is not powerful enough for that resolution?

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
The blurriness, from what I can see from the excerpt I read from a forum post, may be caused by the "dynamic resolution". That may also be affecting performance so try disabling it in the video settings.
That is the solution. I also play Path of Exile and I know that is also very CPU instensive. Your GPU is fine, your CPU is also good so the dynamic resolution is the issue. Of course selecting another resolution will help with the FPS but as I have tried way too many times to make the game work good, there is also the bad graphic engine that is based upon.
From what Chris Wilson said, they will be implementing new graphics by the mid of 2020 and it will be fully functional by the release of Path of Exile 2.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Your card is still very powerful, I'd imagine its because your running in 4K, you can try down scaling and turning down the resolution to see if frame rates improve, but your card should be powerful enough. Although POE is mainly CPU-bound to my knowledge, I doubt its a CPU bottleneck due to the 7700 still being more than enough powerful.

The blurriness, from what I can see from the excerpt I read from a forum post, may be caused by the "dynamic resolution". That may also be affecting performance so try disabling it in the video settings.

That is the solution. I also play Path of Exile and I know that is also very CPU instensive. Your GPU is fine, your CPU is also good so the dynamic resolution is the issue. Of course selecting another resolution will help with the FPS but as I have tried way too many times to make the game work good, there is also the bad graphic engine that is based upon.
From what Chris Wilson said, they will be implementing new graphics by the mid of 2020 and it will be fully functional by the release of Path of Exile 2.

Reactions: oldcracc
Solution

Kestak

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
Thank you for your answers.

The Dynamic resolution is off in the game setting. I did some reading in the last 2 hours and found out about my problem and they call it motion blurr. I wonder if I find out how and if ULMB is turned on.