Gtx 1080TI and a gtx 970 phantom 3.5gb

jeppejack

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Hello Toms

As the title suggest, i wanna know if it is in anyway worth it to keep my gtx 970 in my new rig or i should just sell it. I know that SLI prob wont be possible unless i download that unboxed sli program or something, but feel free to guide me.

I wanna know if it specifically can help out on any of the areas i will list below, if the 24 pcie lanes aren´t already capped out since i have a gtx 1080ti, a soundcard and a m.2 ssd.

Streaming performance, is it able to help out with running a stream while the 1080ti handles the game in any slight way.

Running a second monitor with an open stream or chat or movie, while i do something on my main monitor.

In general fps and stability in games, what ever it might be.

Please do flesh out your answer, so i can make a good idea of the general plan i will layout. I know that older cards sell for quite the decent price online, so it needs to be worth it, or else i will just sell. I also have a supportive motherboard and i7 3770k, with 16gb 2133mhz memory to go along with a hx 750 power supply. So an estimated sell price for that rig, is also appreciated :).

New rig details

i7 7820x at a 24 pcie lanes
1x samsung evo m.2 ssd
ASUS PRIME-A X299 S-2066 ATX
Phoebbus soundcard
GTX 1080TI

Cioby

Distinguished
Sell it or keep it for a second PC. Or give it cheaper to a friend. Nobody will buy it at original price so most you'd get is half and the guy will try to haggle. At that price there is no point to waste time with strangers. You can run 2 monitors or 5 with a 1080ti with mostly no performance loss. Mostly meaning like 1-2 fps. And you can't really use that GPU in the same PC for any reasonable use.

Also you need same resolution monitors to enjoy other stuff while gaming. I had issues and had to keep games in windowed and even that didn't work on all games when I used a smaller screen for movies and stuff.

jeppejack

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014

I have two 1920 monitors. Also i was actually going to be happy with a 3-400USD for the whole rig, but i might actually be able to do higher than that, since you are saying 50% ?

Cioby

Distinguished
50% is a optimist view. Some sell parts for more than 50% but those are kinda aholes, like a guy here asking us if he should sell his old GPU more expensive and less performant than a new generation GPU that's brand new just because his GPU was once a bit more expensive. And selling an entire PC is harder even to do, unless you actually know a friend that needs it. I've had a pretty good PC rocking games really nicely a long time ago, was selling it for 1/3 of the original price and some guy had the audacity to tell my brother "that's not worth more than half of what I was asking".

I got so pissed off, I just kept it until I gave it for free to a friend. Maybe that's just me, I care about my stuff. But I wouldn't sell it for cheap or deal with random trolls on the internet.

Back to your question, you don't need that second GPU at all. The 1080ti is very powerful and has 5 outputs (DP and HDMI only, on my Aorus) and you can do other stuff while you game, easily. Unless your monitors are different and the main one uses gsync, then some stuff like web browsers watching Flash players, might be laggy and annoying (twitch, youtube etc)

jeppejack

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014

As far as i know GPU miners are the ones buying them for a lot, but i can kinda understand, as i said i would be happy with 3-400usd for all the items, which must be like a 1/3 of the price