Question GTX 1080ti freeze on boot if using Display port

matej_9

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello,

I have verry frustrating problem. I've bought new PC and new monitor Dell 1440p 144hz about a month ago, everything was new except GTX 1080ti GALAX was used one but worked perfectly fine 1 month games i've been playing (Battlefield 5, Shadow of tomb raider, overwatch, killing floor 2) last but not least Metro Exodus where problem started.

When i was playing a game first for some time i heard those buzzing 2 second sound when game froze then i had to Restart PC. after i decided to just up the fan curve of my gpu so my temp was max 70 when gaming metro (gpu usage: 100% almost all the time) after about 2 hours of playing it freezes again then i restart PC and it wont boot because it froze at "please wait" when singing to a profile every time (tried to restart i think 10 times)

Went on my smartphone to check and i found that some people had a problem with Display ports, so i decided to plug in via HDMI and it worked perfectly again, i decided to switch from HDMI to DVI while on desktop and boom my PC completely froze again, tried to boot from DP cable again and it froze... then i switched to HDMI and it worked again perfectly.

i haven't tried to play metro again through HDMI after that because i am to scared and confused that my GPU is failing me

one thing i'm SUPER FRUSTRATED about is that i was playing without any crashes Battlefield 5 or tomb raider while it pushed my I7 9700k to the limit aswell as gpu I still can now via HDMI

I've tried memtesting my ram and it works fine
i've also tried running Heaven benchmark while gpu was under 100% load and PC did not freeze. I've done that test before i decided to post here to see any expert oppinion.

EDIT: is it worth trying this? could that be causing the problem? https://www.techspot.com/news/74994...splayport-issues-maxwell-pascal-graphics.html

Last edited:

matej_9

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
UP: i've been playing metro 3 hours straight with default fan courve so my card was at around 80C and i have had no crash jet... is it possible something is wrong with DP because the only difference is freesync which HDMI does not support. You guys think it is more likely on Monitor or GPU problem?