Question GTX 1080ti FTW3 missing resistors -- need values to replace.

snizbatch

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2014
I bought an EVGA 1080ti FTW3 on eBay. When I installed any drivers above 451.48, Windows would freeze. GPU-Z showed a 0.0% TDP with a reason of "IDLE" I ran MATS on the card and it passed with flying colors every time, and with 451.48 or lower the card seemed to run ok, but I want to be able to update. I finally got a pair of magnifying glasses and looked over the card. I was planning on having the INA3221 current sensor replaced then I looked closely at the surrounding resistors, compared to some online repair videos and saw this:
Does anyone have a card that would be willing to identify the two missing components? It appears that the previous owner somehow messed them up. It came with a AIO cooler and a stock cooler so my guess is he damaged it when installing the AIO.

I know this it just an OLD 1080ti but it'd be nice to get it working and put it in my son's computer. I have limited reflow soldering skills that I wouldn't mind trying here if I can get the correct parts. I tested the pads and surprisingly all 4 seem to have good continuity with the traces.
-Jim
1080.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

snizbatch

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2014
No components missing as far as I can tell, just unpopulated.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/upload/pictures/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-FTW3-Elite-11GB-GDDR5X-(11G-P4-6796)_PCB.jpg

Given the location, that might just be power for the fans, or LEDs. Definitely have the main power inputs and their shunts by the power connectors, and then all the power VRMs are over by the GPU with the minor voltages next to the memory.
Actually, they WERE missing! I used a boardview from a different 1080 ti (but close enough to figure out) and the datasheet from the INA3221 to determine the 2 missing resistors were a 2.2KΩ and a 10KΩ resistor. The previous owner of the card must have caught them on something when installing the AIO cooler. I cannibalized an old non-working pair of beats headphones, removed the required resistors and installed them in their respective spots and now it works like a charm! 3DMark stress test was successful! Thanks for replying!
Jim

Reactions: spentshells

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, they WERE missing! I used a boardview from a different 1080 ti (but close enough to figure out) and the datasheet from the INA3221 to determine the 2 missing resistors were a 2.2KΩ and a 10KΩ resistor. The previous owner of the card must have caught them on something when installing the AIO cooler. I cannibalized an old non-working pair of beats headphones, removed the required resistors and installed them in their respective spots and now it works like a charm! 3DMark stress test was successful! Thanks for replying!
Jim

Interesting. That was a picture of the rev 1.0 board. I wonder if yours is a later version.