i am using
i7 8700
msi gtx 1080ti
16gb 3200mhz ram
asus z370 f gaming board
1080p 144hz monitor
i was using my 1080ti at stock from past 2 years
the clock speeds were 1899 and 5503 mhz respectively
i decided to overclock it yesterday and found my celing at 80mhz on core and 350 mhz on memory
beyond that the card runs on furmark 4k test without issues but it dosent run during games
so i decided to stick with 80 and 350
but today i found very confusing results while playing f1 2020
after overclocking i was geting 180fps avg and as i continued to play with each lap the fps started to drop little by little by 10 laps i.e after about 15 minz of gameplay my fps was at 99 avg and then it went further down
so i checked msi afterburner graphs to see what was happening the temps were about 73 avg and 77 max but my power % was dropping it went from 88% to 65% in that 15 min of gameplay
so i reversed to my stock settings and started the game again now on stock it ran perfectly and i did not see any power drops it was steady at 75-80%
how should i overclock my card for best results?
pls help

Solution
1)What was the thermals on stock?
Even with your OC settings, the gpu core will still adjust it's frequencies based on power and thermal headroom. This is why core clock OCs aren't that great on 10, 16, and 20 series cards.
Memory is not auto-adjusted though.

Just a guess, but it could simply be that the gpu is now running into 1 of those 2 limits faster and throttling back more often because of it.
Seeing as your power% isn't necessarily maxing out, the gpu probably isn't comfortable with the temperatures it's running at to sustain those speeds. These cards have multiple temperature thresholds.

2)Furmark 4K test does not represent all games and how they are programmed to use the gpu.
The games themselves are the best way to benchmark...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)What was the thermals on stock?
Even with your OC settings, the gpu core will still adjust it's frequencies based on power and thermal headroom. This is why core clock OCs aren't that great on 10, 16, and 20 series cards.
Memory is not auto-adjusted though.

Just a guess, but it could simply be that the gpu is now running into 1 of those 2 limits faster and throttling back more often because of it.
Seeing as your power% isn't necessarily maxing out, the gpu probably isn't comfortable with the temperatures it's running at to sustain those speeds. These cards have multiple temperature thresholds.

2)Furmark 4K test does not represent all games and how they are programmed to use the gpu.
The games themselves are the best way to benchmark the gpu. Some will tolerate heavy OCs, some won't tolerate OCs at all...

Solution

amitdad.playboy99

Reputable
Jun 25, 2018
on stock settings i actually got higher temps coz i was using the stock fan profile for overclocking i made a custom profile were after 70 the fans were at 100%
but the only diffrence in parameters from stock to oc was the power drop during gameplay
am i doing the overclock wrong or my gpu is not a lucky one to sustain the overclock
but even when the power droped the core was on 2000mhz that was strange

amitdad.playboy99

Reputable
Jun 25, 2018
ok so i did the test again with same fan profile
and ran the standard benchmark test but on a different track
on stock i got avg fps of 156 and on oc it was 158
i applied 70mhz on core and 250 mhz on memory
it held both clocks throughout the test
on stock the clock speeds on core was 1899 and with oc it was 1974
but the fps gain was only 1% shouldnt that be more?
on stock the card used 85% power and during oc it was down to 79% but was steady and didnt drop
is such behaviour normal or should i not oc my card and let run stock?