Question Gtx 1080ti thermal throttling after fresh Windows Install

Dec 6, 2020
About a year ago I bought a pc off of FB marketplace. I went to see the system, tested it out, and decided to buy it. The seller was awesome, he clearly knew his stuff and even provided me with a clean install of windows. I took the pc home, set it up, and it ran great for a few days until it started getting frame drops in game. I used NZXT CAM and MSI Afterburner to monitor the system and I saw that the GPU was throttling almost immediately after launching Destiny 2. After some minor troubleshooting, I took it to my local pc repair shop to see if they could figure out the problem. Several days later they called me and told me that they couldn't replicate the issue and that my system was fine. I went to pick it up and my pc ran fine after that with no issues. About a week ago I got a new SSD to upgrade my system. I replaced the old Vaseky 256gb SSD with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB and installed windows on the new SSD. Within days my GPU started thermal throttling again. As soon as I launch a game the GPU shoots up in temp and is at 84C within a couple minutes. I have taken my GPU out to clean the fans, updated the drivers using AVG Driver Updater, and even tried rolling back the GPU drivers to a previous version. So far I haven't been able to solve the problem.
My system specs are as follows:
CPU: i7 8700K
GPU: ZOTAC 1080ti Amp Edition
RAM: HyperX Predator 16gb 4000mhz
Motherboard: MSI Z370i Carbon
CPU Cooler: NZXT x52 AIO
PSU: Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold 850 Watt
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb (previously Vaseky 256gb)
HDD: Segate 2tb

Any help is appreciated. I have done a fair bit of searching online and on forums and I haven't found anyone with a similar issue that wasn't solved by cleaning the card or updating the drivers.

So the company is technically right, 84C is not throttling. The 1080 Ti should be hitting base clock and that's it, it shouldn't be going below that.

But the high temps are a problem with the AMP! Edition cards, i had a GTX 1080 AMP! Edition and it mimicked the exact same temps and behaviors as you. They are just badly designed cards. The only way to fix it is to replace it with something else.