Gtx 1080ti with i5 4790k

Solution
Yes and no. In most games you should be fine, however, newer games like BF1, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2 will take every thread you throw at them. In CPU heavy games like this you will bottleneck your GPU. 4C/4T CPUs are starting to show there age, finally. While I would go ahead with the upgrade I would consider getting a 4C/8T or better cpu (ideally 6C/12T or 8C/16T) in the somewhat near future. Games are getting better threaded at a fairly rapid pace and with AMDs launch of their Ryzen CPUs 4C/4T is going to become entry level gaming in the very near future.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You should be alright. Especially if you are over clocking. To answer your question literally yes. In Max load stress test benchmarks the numbers would be better even by a little if you had a higher end CPU. But for standard real world usage you won't see anything relevant.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Yes and no. In most games you should be fine, however, newer games like BF1, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2 will take every thread you throw at them. In CPU heavy games like this you will bottleneck your GPU. 4C/4T CPUs are starting to show there age, finally. While I would go ahead with the upgrade I would consider getting a 4C/8T or better cpu (ideally 6C/12T or 8C/16T) in the somewhat near future. Games are getting better threaded at a fairly rapid pace and with AMDs launch of their Ryzen CPUs 4C/4T is going to become entry level gaming in the very near future.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

he's right...when I saw i5 my mind registered 4690k and miss read your post. If you have the i7 your fine if it is an i5 then my previous post stands.