Question GTX 1650 freezes, forcing me to do a manual reset ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2022
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8120 8core
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3
Ram: 16GB CORSAIR VENG
SSD/HDD: SEAGATE 1tb HDD
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1650 Windforce OC
PSU: GIGABYTE p650g (1 month old)
Chassis: NZXT
Monitor: HP OMEN

Video card after an uncertain amount of time will freeze, screen goes solid color (white, yellow) sounds continue for few seconds then system freezes.
Have to force reset by holding down power button.

Can replicate this in two systems sadly - Although both systems are older and this is the newer of the two.

I'm hoping its simply a compatibility issue as i purchased this card pre-covid building a new pc for my son and it got put on hold due to price of parts surging.
Don't think they will honor warranty considering.

After posting this i am going to pickup thermal paste as the GPU sat on my shelf for 2 years and someone suggested overheating.

my question is, could this be lack of power?
the mobo being pci e vs the card being pci 3.0?
hopefully about to cancel out over heating

any suggestions greatly appreciated, it's tough looking at this card i paid 400$ for and just calling it a brick..😓

Dave8671

Distinguished
Thermal paste I have never added to a gpu. You can check if the fans are working on the gpu by opening the case and viewing them.

Your motherboards pcie standard is 2.0 so there is no issue with that card. The only think is it will draw more power on pcie 2.0 than pcie 3.0

The 1650 only needs 250 watts but does require a power connector on the card itself. I assume you have downloaded the driver from the Nvidia website? and installed it?

Cases need two fans one in the front and one at the back. They help with the over all cooling. Leave off the side of the case see if the gpu acts the same. this is a simple way to test for a heat.

Now for the future for this system it will not be able to run windows 11. The requirements for win11 are much different than win10.
That said win10 will be supported till 2025 by Microsoft. I have not gone to win11 yet due to gaming issues. And I have been monitoring the progress of this.

Reactions: JBolus
Dec 16, 2022
New SSD arrived and i clean installed windows, reinstalled drivers.
I was able to play a game that usually crashed immediately for quite a while.
I kept checking temperatures, don't think that's the issue though.
I've run Furmark and watched the temp, it sat around 60 degree's and no crashing.

But the card does crash after playing games - can't figure out why.

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
Great that a clean install worked. Though not a option I suggest first hand. It can be daunting task to users who do not build computers.

I have always made a point to never upgrade from one windows version to another I always clean install. I am looking at upgrading my gaming pc next year. Main reason I clean install is rhe windows registry can get quite large over the years. And gamers like tom8nstall all those games.

Dec 16, 2022
Great that a clean install worked. Though not a option I suggest first hand. It can be daunting task to users who do not build computers.

I have always made a point to never upgrade from one windows version to another I always clean install. I am looking at upgrading my gaming pc next year. Main reason I clean install is rhe windows registry can get quite large over the years. And gamers like tom8nstall all those games.

Sorry, I meant the GPU doesn't crash during benchmark testing - only while gaming.
are there any known settings that can cause WSOD?

Dec 16, 2022
312.png

Dec 16, 2022
does your 1650 crash for all games? or only for specific games?

Only on specific games, the more demanding the less time im able to play

For example, i can play magic the gathering arena for days sometimes and it might never crash
but any shooter, i get maybe an hour

I would try a different power supply.
That Gigabyte model was not good.

The current one is brand new, bad though? - I did just buy a cheap one.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Only on specific games, the more demanding the less time im able to play

For example, i can play magic the gathering arena for days sometimes and it might never crash
but any shooter, i get maybe an hour

this feels like a PSU issue. One of the pc here in my house used to crash during demanding games - a problem which was solved by replacing the aged stock psu with a brand new Seasonic psu.

Reactions: JBolus
Dec 16, 2022
do a ddu uninstall of the gpu drivers and revert to the igp graphics. that would rule out alot.

this feels like a PSU issue. One of the pc here in my house used to crash during demanding games - a problem which was solved by replacing the aged stock psu with a brand new Seasonic psu.

Going to try and chase down these suggestions

- First ill underclock the GPU power draw, would this be able to determine if its a psu issue?
the PSU is a month old, but i did cheap out on it. 650w too little perhaps?

-If fails, will DDU and try igp graphics.

Appreciate the help, will post results!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022
For anyone that googles this issue or requires knowledge of how to fix ; This fixed the issue for me.

Start with this:
https://us.download.nvidia.com/Wind...-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

Download DDU 18.0.5.5 or Newer:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.5.5 Released. | Wagnardsoft

IMAGE HERE: How_to_navigate_Wagnard.png - Google Drive

Disconnect the NETWORK Cable | WIFI (I Disable these in the DEVICE MANAGER)

[win]+[r] > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT(minimal) ... Apply and Reboot.

Run DDU (see Settings Below)
• Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers
• Select: Clean, do not restart
Shutdown and Reboot.
DDU_Options.png - Google Drive

Back in normal Windows:
Install the NVIDIA driver Only
• Custom
• Check the CLEAN INSTALL option
• Finish the Install
• Reboot

Reconnect the Internet

Retest the System and see if the issue is still there.

Reactions: mothermayhem
Reactions: Tac 25
Status
Not open for further replies.