[SOLVED] GTX 1650 GDDR6 screen flicker

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, yesterday I purchased an ASUS Dual Mini GDDR6 GTX 1650. Attached it today to the pc, and installed the latest driver which is 511.23
to my surprise, the screen is blinking when running certain games, and on visiting certain websites. For example, it would run fine with Genshin Impact, but would blink non-stop when I try Dead or Alive VI. I uninstalled the driver and now downloading 472.12 which I saw some people say in Nvidia forums it fixed their problem.

I also notice some bright pixels on the right side of the monitor.

now, my GPU is very new. I could go to the store tomorrow and apply for their "3 day we change it if your GPU does not work" warranty. However, I just want to know if this is a driver problem or a hardware problem? Have re-seated the GPU and tightened the screw, so there's no problem there.

note: the pc was working fine until I replaced the 1050ti with the 1650, and installed the new driver. It's the budget gaming pc on my sig.

System:

GPU: Asus Dual Mini GTX 1650
CPU: i7-2600k
PSU: Seasonic GC 550 80+ Gold
ram: 32 gb

Last edited:
Solution
problem solved. Using an HDMI cable worked.

for some reason the DVI cable I was using with the 1050 ti does not work with the 1650. But now with an HDMI cable, the 1650 works without problems.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
observation on the problem

1. The screen blinking is triggered by 3d games like Dead or Alive VI. When I play games that don't have much 3d like Genshin Impact, the screen blinking / flickering does not happen.
  2. Task manager does not blink when opened (CTRL + Shift + Esc). Which leads me to believe that this is a software problem.
  3. Still have not finished downloading driver 471.12. It's my last hope on fixing this problem.
  4. Not sure if it's relevant. Windows 10 suddenly downloaded an update last night, not sure if it's in response to this problem.
really stressful, this has kept me up all night yesterday.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
update:

went to the store. Store personnel are pleasant and accomodating.

I lost the warranty receipt, but they printed another and gave it to me.

they put the GPU on a stress test.. pretty much a swirling graphic image which they say is equivalent to playing a 3d game with heavy graphic requirement

until temps reach 30 or 40 degrees.

• no flickering of the screen
the main difference is they used an HDMI cable and nvidia driver 496.76. When i got the error, I was using an old DVI cable, and a different driver version.

the "we will replace it if does not work warranty" is now extended by 3 days

purchased from them a Ugreen hdmi cable and now downloading the driver that they used.

have a feeling that it will work fine this time.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
problem solved. Using an HDMI cable worked.

for some reason the DVI cable I was using with the 1050 ti does not work with the 1650. But now with an HDMI cable, the 1650 works without problems.

Solution