Question GTX 1650 Mobile crashing randomly?

Aug 6, 2022
Hello! I'm new here and it's my first time participating on a forum-

I had this laptop for 1 year and 2 months
GPU: 1650 Mobile 4GB GDRR5 (Hyinx)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3550H
PC: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-43
I bought this PC brand new a year and two months ago, CPU never went above 80° and GPU never went above 60°, normally 50° when gaming, maybe 4 hours per week

So, weeks ago I was playing and I got a BSOD saying something along the lines of "Video_TDR_Error", I restarted, the GPU disappeared from the device manager, I restarted again, nothing. Driver update and downgrade, nothing. BIOS downgrade, nothing changed, did a clean Windows 10 install? Nothing. Ubuntu? Nothing. I just gave up and left the PC without the battery for hours.

I powered it on after like, 20 hours, the GPU appeared on everything now, I quickly installed furmark, GPU-Z, CPU-Z and HWMonitor to see what was happening. It ran the benchmark for an hour and crashed slowly, Furmark closed, when opening again it said I didn't had a compatible OpenGL graphics card. I checked GPU-Z and the VRAM disappeared, not showing the Size and Memory Type (it appeared before) and then, BSOD and never appeared again.

Powered the PC again after hours, GPU appeared, I used a benchmark for VRAM and it ran flawlessly for 2 minutes, then it showed errors, VRAM disappeared from the device, and crashed.
I did that to see if it was the VRM for Memory failing, not the GPU VRM.
I opened it and used a multimeter to search for a bad capacitor, inductor or resistor, I found nothing, I may be my fault since I know nothing about that and tried to learn these last days.
I didn't checked the MOSFETs or the resistors on the back of the motherboard.

I'm in the air, Acer Support ignored me, Microsoft directly said "change the whole board" and yeah, Im asking for help to see if I did something wrong or see how should I test it, the technicians on my city tried to scam me so, I'll have to do it myself.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I bought this PC
Laptop.

Does your laptop have any BIOS updates pending?
BIOS downgrade,
Please don't downgrade your BIOS, in fact you're advised to be on the latest BIOS version unless it's stated through other forums that people have been experiencing issues. What BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?

Reactions: Kangarroar
Aug 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I bought this PC
Laptop.

Does your laptop have any BIOS updates pending?
BIOS downgrade,
Please don't downgrade your BIOS, in fact you're advised to be on the latest BIOS version unless it's stated through other forums that people have been experiencing issues. What BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?
I'm on the latest for my laptop, V1.12. I was 1.12 at the time I got the problem so I did a downgrade to 1.10 seeing people with Acer's getting GPU problems due to that, to see if that would fix the weird thing, it didn't so I instantly went to the latest again

Aug 6, 2022
I'm on the latest for my laptop, V1.12. I was 1.12 at the time I got the problem so I did a downgrade to 1.10 seeing people with Acer's getting GPU problems due to that, to see if that would fix the weird thing, it didn't so I instantly went to the latest again
After a couple of days with the battery of the laptop and the CMOS battery disconnect, I connected them again and powered the laptop on, it worked for more time than before, it seems that it works proportionally to the time I left it without power, I'm so confused

Aug 6, 2022
I threw the motherboard in isopropyl alcohol the other day, full clean, saw some condensers with a kinds brown/orange bad soldering and just soldered them again/cleaned them with Flux, I tried for hours then to turn it on, and nothing, it didn't detected ram and failed to POST. I drained every component and then it worked again (what the -???) and I ran a stress test for CPU and iGPU for 8 hours, worked fine and still working fine. The Nvidia GPU didn't appeared, I may have checked the components in a bad way with the multimeter and just didn't found the problem, can someone tell me what to search for and how to do it? Please;;
I can't send it to a technician here, don't have the money due to health issues being payed, and I can't let this PC die on its own

I'm attaching the motherboard picture.
(It was the first I took, when I cleaned the thermal paste there was no burnt color in the die or memories)

IMG-20220814-104810-581.jpg