Question GTX 1650 on a 240 watt psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2018
I know this card isn't very good for the money but I need an upgrade for my GTX 750 that I used for my dell inspiron 3668 pc Im also planning on adding an ssd for a boot drive and another 8 gbs of ram
Current specs
Intel core i3 7100
8gb ddr4 2400 mhz
GTX 750 2gb
1tb hdd
the dell mobo
Do you think my psu will explode with these upgrades or do you think ill be fine and if so whats the power draw idle/load?

Dec 29, 2018
Explode? - No. Be able to handle what you want it to do? - No. My conservative calc using this site https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator recommends 343W, so a 350W would just get you by. Also, you'd get a much better performance increase with a 1660. 1660 TI would be even more bonus, but not as big a jump as 1650 -> 1660.
Those calculators aren't really accurate besides that my system is very proprietary and my system uses a 6 pin psu cable instead of a normal 24 pin and a normal atx psu wouldn't fit i would have to keep it outside of the tower plus they need adapters for a normal psu which are non existent. if i could find an adapter i could use an sfx psu put they are pretty expensive and i only make around 900 a month because im 16 working at Mcdonalds

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Those calculators aren't really accurate besides that my system is very proprietary and my system uses a 6 pin psu cable instead of a normal 24 pin and a normal atx psu wouldn't fit i would have to keep it outside of the tower plus they need adapters for a normal psu which are non existent. if i could find an adapter i could use an sfx psu put they are pretty expensive and i only make around 900 a month because im 16 working at Mcdonalds
The calculators are pretty accurate for safe estimation. Dell systems are not "proprietary" by any means. They just use funky parts in a lot of their stuff because it's mass produced PCs for those who don't know how to build or don't want to look into what they are actually getting.

Dec 29, 2018
The calculators are pretty accurate for safe estimation. Dell systems are not "proprietary" by any means. They just use funky parts in a lot of their stuff because it's mass produced PCs for those who don't know how to build or don't want to look into what they are actually getting.
it was a birthday gift from my parents, they really didn't know what to get for gaming so they got the system that i'm currently using and it is proprietary ive wanted to upgrade the systems psu but it doesn't use a normal 24 pin psu cable (which does make it proprietary) plus the mobo uses a weird shape so it wouldn't be able to fit in a regular case

Dec 29, 2018
it was a birthday gift from my parents, they really didn't know what to get for gaming so they got the system that i'm currently using and it is proprietary ive wanted to upgrade the systems psu but it doesn't use a normal 24 pin psu cable (which does make it proprietary) plus the mobo uses a weird shape so it wouldn't be able to fit in a regular case
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-D...top-Motherboard-7KY25-Mainboard-/223370212837 heres the mobo if you can see there is no 24 pin psu

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
You will either need a normal power supply and a 6 pin adapter to plug into the "ATX_SYS" white connector in the top right of the ebay image (mini ITX power supplies are available) or basically salvage the good parts and start a new build. Dell is certainly not a company that makes things upgrade friendly.

Dec 29, 2018
You will either need a normal power supply and a 6 pin adapter to plug into the "ATX_SYS" white connector in the top right of the ebay image (mini ITX power supplies are available) or basically salvage the good parts and start a new build. Dell is certainly not a company that makes things upgrade friendly.
Thank you i honestly might just find a 6 pin and a good psu and just get a 1060 used or a rx 570 didn't think doing a basic upgrade would be this hard lol

Dec 29, 2018
Thank you i honestly might just find a 6 pin and a good psu and just get a 1060 used or a rx 570 didn't think doing a basic upgrade would be this hard lol
or do you think i could go with a rx 560 and ssd with the ram or will the story be the same with the 1650 i rember watching an austin evens video where he upgraded the system im using but he put in a 460 and it didn't seem like there was a problem plus he also had the dvd drive plugged in so it may of used more power

Last edited:

The reason upgrades are hard is because you have a system not made to be up-gradable.

From the pictures of that model, you may not have a standard ATX size power supply in there either so not only would you need an adapter for the motherboard power, but you will also need to find out what exact format the power supply is and get the correct size.

If you want to upgrade the system, I would remove the CPU and RAM, and move those into a new case and motherboard. CPU is not great for games, but you should be able to see some improvement with a better video card than the 750. Getting the wrong thing often ends up costing more than getting something better in the first place. Research purchases.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming loads on a 1660 will put the entire pc @ 250-260w. No, that psu cannot handle it for anything more than websurfing. You'll need to stick with cards that do not require a seperate additional pcie, of which the gtx750/ti is about as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.