[SOLVED] GTX 1650 Or RX 570

radeonhd5450

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Hey Guys,
I am planning to purchase a new GPU for some casual gaming, and I'm kinda having a little hard time deciding whether to go with GTX 1650 or Rx 570. I know the fact that RX 570 is a little faster than 1650 by approx. 10% but it's like it is a pretty old card in 2020, like 3 years old and it'll be like a 4 year old in couple of months, whereas 1650 is relatively new when compared.

Further, my PSU is Antec BP450P which aint a 80plus certified. However it has a 8 pin PCIE. but Like I'm not sure whether it'll be able to feed RX 570 properly.

Both the cards are at exact same price. it's just I'm like 1650 is a newer card, newer architecture, like i wont mind getting 5-7 less FPS in games. I'm a casual gamer, mostly busy with my office stuffs.

This shall be my first Gaming GPU, So , i request you'll to please help me in this regard. Also, Please do not suggest any other card. The only other card in my budget is GTX 1060 3GB but vram is low. please help, and i will really appreciate it.

Thank You.

Solution
Alternately, if you insist on using that power supply, then get the 1650 GDDR6 version. Spend the extra $20, and the 1650 will put less of a demand on your PSU than the RX 570 will.

That would mitigate the risk somewhat.

I still personally think it's a bad idea to buy a GPU before you get a better PSU.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are you buying the cards used, or new? Is the RX 570 a 4GB version or an 8GB version?

The advantage of the GTX 1650 is that there are some that are available versions that don't need the PCIe connector. So, fairly low power draw.

Depending on the game, however, the RX 570 performs anywhere from 4% to 90% faster, though that last one is an outlier. Probably about 15% on average across multiple games. See: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-1650-turing-gpu,6096-3.html

If they're the same price, I'm leaning in the direction of the RX 570. It doesn't matter if it's old technology. If you're getting it new, it's still got a proper warranty.

I am concerned about your PSU, though. I wouldn't really be comfortable with it with any add in card, low-power or not. I haven't been able to find a clear picture of the power specifications label of the BP450P, but the BP450PS produces only 396W on the 12V rails. I suspect that yours would be about the same, or maybe somewhat less.

While the power rating isn't TOO bad, that it's not even 80 Plus certified (and that's only for EFFICIENCY, not quality), and it's not on the recommended lists I've seen, I would replace the PSU with a good one no matter what you do. The first two links in my sig offer some good recommendations, both on what to use and what to avoid.

radeonhd5450

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
Coming towards the first aspect of your reply, yes both the cards are new, and having Vram of 4gb.

Secondly, Even I'm more concerned towards the PSU part. that's why i thought it'll be better if i consult with experts before purchasing. I just checked my Power Supply's box and it says 408w on 12v rails. i don't know how much will it be of any help.
Actually, it's a budget build. i have made sure to get the best possible components available in my budget. I have been saving since a long time for a GPU, and its like i wanna play something now and I'm done with savings now, Vega 8 ain't enough.

I've seen some benchmarks, RX 570 is ahead but not by too much. its like by 5-7 more fps. I believe GTX 1650 ain't too bad.

My Pc:
R3 2200G,
4Gb x 2 sticks @ 2400,
Antec Bp450p.

So, which one would be better in my case ? Gtx 1650 or RX 570 ?

Thank You.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't trust the PSU, so I would actually say it's best to get a good PSU before getting the video card. Or at the same time, if you can afford both. The PSU is a safety device, you want it to provide clean and stable power for your system. You certainly don't want to take the chance of a low-quality unit possibly frying your hardware.

Am I correct in assuming that, until now, you've been using the integrated graphics of the 2200G?

Once you have the PSU situation sorted out, I still say the 1650 falls short of the RX 570. If they are new, there's no problem going with older technology, as it will still have a full warranty.

If it was the 1650 Super, then it would be a different story. Maybe if it was the non-Super, but the GDDR6 version, I would consider the 1650 (some 1650 cards have GDDR5, some more recently have been equipped with GDDR6)

radeonhd5450

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Hey,
Thanks again for the reply.
I cannot afford to pruchase both GPU and PSU at the same time. Coming to second aspect of your reply, yes i have been using IGPU of 2200g. But you know its totally not enough for a decent experience.
Actually, i had considered the GDDR6 version of 1650 but it's like 20 USD more expensive than GDDR5. so, i feel its not worth the price.

My views:
I feel Antec BP450P is better than those generic unbranded Chinese PSUs, and the box says it can handle a max load of 408w at 12v. Even this PSU was expensive my friend.

I think it should be able to handle a RX 570. i checked out this website coolermaster power consumption calculator, and with my specs including a RX 570 it shows a max load of 293W which i believe should not be a problem for my PSU. I won't be overclocking neither my CPU or Gpu as i have MSI A320m board which doesn't support overclocking anyways.

So, will it be okay if i move ahead with RX 570?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, it's true - these days, it seems ALL power supplies are pricey.

The RX570 itself should be just fine - but I can't find a reliable review of that PSU, so I am wary of it. You might have enough headroom based solely on the claimed wattage, but it may just be a poor quality unit. Antec does have some good ones, but that model is not among those I've seen recommended.

You can try it, and it might be just fine, but I personally can't endorse getting ANY add-in video card until you get a power supply that is known to have a good reputation.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Alternately, if you insist on using that power supply, then get the 1650 GDDR6 version. Spend the extra $20, and the 1650 will put less of a demand on your PSU than the RX 570 will.

That would mitigate the risk somewhat.

I still personally think it's a bad idea to buy a GPU before you get a better PSU.

Solution

radeonhd5450

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Hey,
Ya I think that makes sense to me. Alright then it'll try to get the GDDR6 version of the GPU.

I would like to thank you a ton for helping me out here. I really appreciate it.

Thank You. :)