Question GTX 1650 reguarly crashes when waking from sleep/hibernation, could it be PSU?

Sep 10, 2022
For the last two years I've had a recurring problem where 30% of the time my computer fails to wake. The power apparently goes on (I hear fans and the keyboard lights up) but it just hangs with a black screen (but not no signal, as the monitor doesn't turn itself off due to no signal). The system defintely hangs, because I've tried accesing the PC over the network to check if it's booted succesfully except the display, but it hasn't booted fully into windows. I've spent a long time messing about with Windows settings, disabling fastboot, etc. because I know that sleep and hibernation can be problematic. Over that time I've replaced all my PC components (mobo, cpu, ram, psu) except the GPU and I started to realise that the issue began when I bought my GTX 1650.

So I dug out my old GPU and put it in and the problem compltely disappeared! Once I put the GTX 1650 back in (using DDU to remove all drivers, installing Studio version of the NVidia drivers) and the issue immediately started again. I really can't afford to replace my GPU at the moment, so I don't know what to do? Does anyone have any suggestions? My last hope is that my PSU is underpowered for my system and that is somehow causing an issue when the computer tries to wake, but I get very different recommendations for PSU depending on what website I use (some as low as 450w and others up to 700w). My specs are:

Ryzen 5 5600x
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite V2
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB)
Zalman ZM-600LX II 600w PSU

The Zalman PSU is defintely a budget brand, but I read quite a few reviews saying it was reliable and reasonably efficent even above 600w. So, is it worth buying a new PSU (probably a Corsair or Gigabyte 750w)? Or is it unlikely to make any difference? I don't really game a lot, so I wouldn't think the power demands would be very hard on my system, but is it possible that waking from sleep suddly hits the PSU with a high demand and the GPU gets messed up? Or are there any setting on my GTX or BIOS that I could change to make things better?

Thanks!

DavidM012

Distinguished
You're cpu is quite powerful the base tdp is 105w but power consumption increases with the load. In conjunction with the other gpu the power demands increase because the cpu can push the gpu harder.

You only use it occasionally but the peak demand of the cpu + gpu is higher with your 'more recent than the gtx 1650' card whatever that is.

You don't want to mess about with the power supplies.

You'll need to be going through the list of PSU's

Power Supply Tier list (outdated)

When considering a PSU look up the power demands of your other gpu. Using a search. For example:

'People also ask

How much power does the RTX 3070 use?

around 220W

The GeForce RTX 3070 consumes around 220W on the Founders Edition to quickly refresh your memory with factory-overclocked SKUs boosting up to around 240-250W.'

Builds on this forum have recommended a corsair tx650m to handle the transient power spikes of 3070 series gpus.

There may be others that are good at handling transient power spikes you'd have to read lots more reviews to find out and then match your choice to your budget and availability in your locale.

Don't compromise on the PSU. Buy it brand new from a mainstream retailer you can't cut corners on it.

Reactions: mlehane

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
My last hope is that my PSU is underpowered for my system and that is somehow causing an issue when the computer tries to wake, but I get very different recommendations for PSU depending on what website I use (some as low as 450w and others up to 700w). My specs are:

Ryzen 5 5600x
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite V2
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB)
Zalman ZM-600LX II 600w PSU

The Zalman PSU is defintely a budget brand, but I read quite a few reviews saying it was reliable and reasonably efficent even above 600w. So, is it worth buying a new PSU (probably a Corsair or Gigabyte 750w)? Or is it unlikely to make any difference? I don't really game a lot, so I wouldn't think the power demands would be very hard on my system, but is it possible that waking from sleep suddly hits the PSU with a high demand and the GPU gets messed up? Or are there any setting on my GTX or BIOS that I could change to make things better?

Thanks!

Have you tried testing that on a friend's pc, try to see if the same problem appears when the gpu is used on another pc?

I use a 1650 with a Seasonic GC 550 80+ Gold, and no problems encountered.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
Watch The brewing problem with GPU power design. From Gamer's nexus. The power spike can go as high as 550w for 100ms so I'd be looking at a 750w model other than the corsair. Thinking about the peak demand of the system than the peak usage.

To get a really accurate idea of what that is you'd have to look up power consumption benchmarks. If you're not comfortable with a 650w just go higher with an 850w . It won't pull 850w all the time just the transient power spike of 550w for 100milliseconds will be peak demand of the system + the spike which is over 70% of the capacity of the psu.

The PSU can't sustain going over the rated capacity for long periods. And the cheapies can't sustain the transient power spike at all.

Sep 10, 2022
You're cpu is quite powerful the base tdp is 105w but power consumption increases with the load. In conjunction with the other gpu the power demands increase because the cpu can push the gpu harder.

You only use it occasionally but the peak demand of the cpu + gpu is higher with your 'more recent than the gtx 1650' card whatever that is.

You don't want to mess about with the power supplies.

You'll need to be going through the list of PSU's

Power Supply Tier list (outdated)

When considering a PSU look up the power demands of your other gpu. Using a search. For example:

'People also ask

How much power does the RTX 3070 use?

around 220W

The GeForce RTX 3070 consumes around 220W on the Founders Edition to quickly refresh your memory with factory-overclocked SKUs boosting up to around 240-250W.'

Builds on this forum have recommended a corsair tx650m to handle the transient power spikes of 3070 series gpus.

There may be others that are good at handling transient power spikes you'd have to read lots more reviews to find out and then match your choice to your budget and availability in your locale.

Don't compromise on the PSU. Buy it brand new from a mainstream retailer you can't cut corners on it.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm sorry, I maybe wasn't clear the GTX 1650 is my current GPU (and the one that is causing problems). The other old GPU (an ancient Asus AMD Radeon R7 250) I tried out was just to check if the GTX 1650 was the problem.

From what I've seen online, the GTX 1650 uses about 75w-100w. So with the 105w from the CPU it should still be fine with the 600w PSU? Even if its not the actual power output of the PSU, do you think a 'better brand' would be more reliable for stuff like hibernation?

Thanks!

DavidM012

Distinguished
Just always use a decent psu it will last for the 5 year warranty period. The 650w and up will be more compatible with future upgrades so it's kind of thinking ahead somewhat. So you don't have to buy another psu if/when you upgrade again. You could put a larger gtx in it eventually so build it for that and it will be suitable for anything less. The 4000 series is on the horizon & I haven't looked into it's power requirements yet.

So the market is shuffling and there might be deals about sooner or later.

The recommended power on the MSI website for your graphics card is 300W so I don't think your problem is a low-powered PSU. I'm not sure what your problem is but the first thing I would do is use Display Driver Uninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to remove your drivers and then install the latest ones from Nvidia.

Oh I just saw you already did this. Get the latest chipset drivers from AMD installed and also the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

Reactions: mlehane and Tac 25

DavidM012

Distinguished
The Zalman psu is only recommended for iGPU systems according to the psu tier list. Not recommended for a system with a discrete gpu by Tom's hardware.

The gpu is fritzing likely out of warranty not good for testing in another computer. Plus the system has a zen 3 in it to push the gpu harder.

So within the vague range of non-compliance to standards there's a bug and you aren't sure what it is. Not recommended. Power goes through the system it's electrical and it's your encounter with electronics, not a kitchen blender.

I'm sure the Zalman PSU isn't a particularly good one but it's only being tasked with powering a 65W CPU and 75W GPU. A GTX 1650 is the sort of card you can stick in an OEM prebuilt office PC and be fine with their often non-standard 250W PSU. I'm not convinced replacing the PSU will solve the issue. I think I remember some kind of early bios bug with B550 motherboards and Ryzen 5600x but I'm not 100% sure. I still think updating the bios and chipset drivers would be a good idea.

Reactions: Tac 25 and mlehane

DavidM012

Distinguished
Not with an unrecommended psu since any fluctuations it's sensitive to could corrupt the bios flashing process. Bios flashing is not recommended in dubious power conditions. Especially not with a suspected flaky gpu in it. Too many uncertainties.

Use a recommended psu that's been tested and put through it's paces and not a bad idea to have a surge protector or ups in place if flash the bios, since a power fault in the flashing process will cause it to fail. And the old low powered gpu.

The tdp of the cpu is 105w. It's powerful, zen 3, pushes the gpu and co-incidentally the symptoms are converging with some known meridians of the problem.

The PSU is only good for an iGPU rig.

. Over that time I've replaced all my PC components (mobo, cpu, ram, psu) except the GPU and I started to realise that the issue began when I bought my GTX 1650.

So I dug out my old GPU and put it in and the problem compltely disappeared! Once I put the GTX 1650 back in (using DDU to remove all drivers, installing Studio version of the NVidia drivers) and the issue immediately started again.
It does kind of sound like a fault with your graphics card

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
So I dug out my old GPU and put it in and the problem compltely disappeared! Once I put the GTX 1650 back in (using DDU to remove all drivers, installing Studio version of the NVidia drivers) and the issue immediately started again. I really can't afford to replace my GPU at the moment, so I don't know what to do? Does anyone have any suggestions? My last hope is that my PSU is underpowered for my system and that is somehow causing an issue when the computer tries to wake, but I get very different recommendations for PSU depending on what website I use (some as low as 450w and others up to 700w). My specs are:

looks like a GPU problem.

test it on another pc with a good psu, observe if the problem persists. If you don't have another pc to test the gpu with.. then take your gpu to your local pc repair shop - a technician can test it on one of their pc - if the problem is replicated, then your gpu is the one that has issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flayed

TRENDING THREADS