Question GTX 1660 fan revs up and down repeatedly

Thronsen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi there-

I have a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 6GB OC Graphics Card installed on a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming Motherboard. When the card is NOT under load, ie I am just flipping between web pages and office applications, every 5 minutes or so the fan will do a series of faily loud revs. It will rev up for a second or so, then down, then up, then down, usually about 5 times. My other case fans are built for quiet, so this is fairly distracting. Is there any way to stop this? The CPU is generally pretty cool, so I do not think it is the case temperature.

Interestingly enough, under load the fan is pretty quiet. It will rev up once (which is loud) and then maintain the fans spinning quietly. It is just when it is not under load it keeps periodically doing these revving serieses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thronsen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

I installed GPU-Z. I was not able to find on that program where you can control the GPU fan profile, if I could get a few more details?

One of the things that GPU-Z did help me discover was that it is a certain program that is making the fans rev every couple of minutes (my HKVision home surveillance software). For some reason this program increases the GPU load and the Memory Controller load every 2 minutes, which presumably triggers the fans. Oddly though there is no real increase in the GPU temperature.

Is it possible to more directly tie the fans to the GPU temp instead of to the loads?

Thanks again for everyone's help.