[SOLVED] GTX 1660 on 400W PSU

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017
Hi!

I'm planning on upgrading my GPU from Gtx 1050ti to Gtx 1660 (non ti), but my PSU is 400W and Gtx 1660 needs a 450W PSU (recommended), So will there be any issues on this upgrade ?

Current Spec -

Silverstone ST40F-ES230 400W (80+)
Gigabyte H61M-S2P
I7 3770 (non k)
2 x 4GB DDR3 (1333)
Gtx 1050ti
CM Hyper 103 CPU cooler
WD 1tb 7200rpm
Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm
1 x 92mm casing fan

Solution
I expected to be skeptical when seeing the thread title, but as Techy notes, this is a perfectly adequate PSU. Adequate PSUs aren't all that common at this exact wattage. But this one is a newer CWT-built one rather than the older Sirtec that only had 300W on the +12V rail. Sure, it's not an amazing PSU by any stretch of the imagination, but it's perfectly fine for your needs. Now if at some point you upgrade to a newer platform and want to do some serious overclocking or get a higher-power GPU down the road, then you'll be talking about a new PSU, but as long as this one is working, I wouldn't worry with your current specs.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I expected to be skeptical when seeing the thread title, but as Techy notes, this is a perfectly adequate PSU. Adequate PSUs aren't all that common at this exact wattage. But this one is a newer CWT-built one rather than the older Sirtec that only had 300W on the +12V rail. Sure, it's not an amazing PSU by any stretch of the imagination, but it's perfectly fine for your needs. Now if at some point you upgrade to a newer platform and want to do some serious overclocking or get a higher-power GPU down the road, then you'll be talking about a new PSU, but as long as this one is working, I wouldn't worry with your current specs.

Solution

Versuz

Reputable
Jul 6, 2017

Thanks for the reply! And no Im not planing on doing further upgrades with PSU and no overclocking as well.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Hi!

I'm planning on upgrading my GPU from Gtx 1050ti to Gtx 1660 (non ti), but my PSU is 400W and Gtx 1660 needs a 450W PSU (recommended), So will there be any issues on this upgrade ?

Current Spec -

Silverstone ST40F-ES230 400W (80+)
Gigabyte H61M-S2P
I7 3770 (non k)
2 x 4GB DDR3 (1333)
Gtx 1050ti
CM Hyper 103 CPU cooler
WD 1tb 7200rpm
Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm
1 x 92mm casing fan

I would recommend replacing it when possible with a better quality unit than that.

That's one of the worst name brand PSU's you can buy, Silverstone has some good units, but that one isn't one of them.