[SOLVED] GTX 1660 S with i5-4460

Rajahspice

Reputable
Apr 26, 2020
current gpu: GTX 750 (non-ti version)
current cpu: i5-4460

I am playing cs and sometimes valorant on 144hz monitor with this setup and getting ~ 160fps in valorant and ~ 200fps in cs, but sometimes this value drops to 100-120. (1280x960 lowest settings in both games). I am wondering if i can change gpu only and buy GTX 1660 super. So can i5-4460 somehow handle with this gpu? I understand that there will be significant bottleneck but the question is how much more performance i will get and will there be any sense in this purchase?

Solution
but i am not sure cpu usage is even close to 100%. Gonna check it
CPU usage doesn't really matter in these scenarios - just GPU usage. This is because MSI Afterburner's CPU usage is shown as kind of an average of the usage of each core, so it could be that 2 cores are at 100% and 2 are at 0%, and usage shown will be 50%, but it will still be a CPU bottleneck because the game only uses two cores and the CPU is maxing out those two cores. The only way to tell if the CPU is the bottleneck is to see if the GPU usage is below 95-100%.
current gpu: GTX 750 (non-ti version)
current cpu: i5-4460

I am playing cs and sometimes valorant on 144hz monitor with this setup and getting ~ 160fps in valorant and ~ 200fps in cs, but sometimes this value drops to 100-120. (1280x960 lowest settings in both games). I am wondering if i can change gpu only and buy GTX 1660 super. So can i5-4460 somehow handle with this gpu? I understand that there will be significant bottleneck but the question is how much more performance i will get and will there be any sense in this purchase?
What's your GPU usage right now in these games? If it's not completely maxed out, there's no point upgrading the GPU. CS is mostly CPU-intensive and upgrading the GPU will not help with the FPS. Not sure about Valorant.

Rajahspice

Reputable
Apr 26, 2020
What's your GPU usage right now in these games? If it's not completely maxed out, there's no point upgrading the GPU. CS is mostly CPU-intensive and upgrading the GPU will not help with the FPS. Not sure about Valorant.
seems logical, heard it before, thanks for answering. Well, then my only option is to completely rebuild PC.

but i am not sure cpu usage is even close to 100%. Gonna check it
CPU usage doesn't really matter in these scenarios - just GPU usage. This is because MSI Afterburner's CPU usage is shown as kind of an average of the usage of each core, so it could be that 2 cores are at 100% and 2 are at 0%, and usage shown will be 50%, but it will still be a CPU bottleneck because the game only uses two cores and the CPU is maxing out those two cores. The only way to tell if the CPU is the bottleneck is to see if the GPU usage is below 95-100%.

Solution
Not correct. MSIAfterburner can monitor all cores and threads if you select them for monitoring.