[SOLVED] GTX 1660 super and Ryzen 5 1600 bad performance.

Dec 7, 2021
Hi guys, I have a GTX 1660 super and a Ryzen 5 1600. I know that the Ryzen 5 1600 is a bit outdated but I have been getting terrible performance on some games recently. For example rust is running at an average of around 55 fps dropping to 40fps in combat and high population areas on low settings. On the other hand Forza Horizon 5 is running above 120fps on medium-high settings? I have ran some benchmarks and it seems to be working fine. My specs are.
CPU Ryzen 5 1600
GPU Gtx 1660 super 6gb
MBO MSI B350M ARCTIC
RAM 16GB 2666mhz
Is my cpu bottlenecking? or would it be another issue? thanks.

Solution
What do you recommend the cheapest upgrade would be that improves performance the most?
not really any single component.

i would probably start with the CPU.
then get some better paired RAM for whichever processor you choose, Ryzen performance can greatly depend on sufficient RAM speeds.
then also replace the motherboard; it has gotten some fairly negative reviews.

With a 1660 super they are getting much more fps than I am. On medium I get 50fps they are getting 100+fps?
unless you find someone with the exact same setup as you then comparing videos means nothing.
just having a similar graphics card doesn't make these systems comparable.
rust is running at an average of around 55 fps dropping to 40fps in combat and high population areas on low settings
i really wouldn't expect even 60fps with this setup.
what your getting is normal for this type of system.

of course a better CPU and faster RAM would help raise fps and/or in-game settings a little but the GTX 1660 S really isn't any type of a powerhouse.

if running on an old or near full HDD you could also add a larger SSD for games.

Dec 7, 2021

of course a better CPU and faster RAM would help raise fps and/or in-game settings a little but the GTX 1660 S really isn't any type of a powerhouse.

if running on an old or near full HDD you could also add a larger SSD for games.
What do you recommend the cheapest upgrade would be that improves performance the most?

Dec 7, 2021

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LVBLrBP6D0&ab_channel=PurestStealth

With a 1660 super they are getting much more fps than I am. On medium I get 50fps they are getting 100+fps?

then get some better paired RAM for whichever processor you choose, Ryzen performance can greatly depend on sufficient RAM speeds.

unless you find someone with the exact same setup as you then comparing videos means nothing.
just having a similar graphics card doesn't make these systems comparable.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 7, 2021

just having a similar graphics card does make these systems comparable.
but if i put in a 11400f do you think it would increase my frames a lot?

With a 1660 super they are getting much more fps than I am...
if i put in a 11400f do you think it would increase my frames a lot?
if you changed out your CPU to match theirs,
changed out your memory to match their performance,
changed out your motherboard to match theirs capabilities,
made sure you had the same speed disk to run the game from,
made sure you have an adequate power supply,
made sure you were running the same clock speeds of both CPU & GPU,
and had adequate cooling to allow sustained high clock speeds
then you would probably get the same fps they are.

for you to change to an i5-11400F you also need a new compatible motherboard and a decent 3rd party CPU cooler.
but yes this would allow for a higher fps.

Dec 7, 2021

just having a similar graphics card does make these systems comparable.
Also why
if you changed out your CPU to match theirs,
changed out your memory to match their performance,
changed out your motherboard to match theirs capabilities,
made sure you had the same speed disk to run the game from,
made sure you have an adequate power supply,
made sure you were running the same clock speeds of both CPU & GPU,
and had adequate cooling to allow sustained high clock speeds
then you would probably get the same fps they are.

for you to change to an i5-11400F you also need a new compatible motherboard and a decent 3rd party CPU cooler.
but yes this would allow for a higher fps.
Okay thanks for your replies. I understand that I would need to change a lot to get better performance but I dont understand why forza horizon 5 which is a brand new game is running at 100fps on high- Ultra settings but rust will run at 40fps? wouldn't horizon 5 be a harder game to run?

I dont understand why forza horizon 5 which is a brand new game is running at 100fps on high- Ultra settings but rust will run at 40fps
the age of a game doesn't necessarily correspond with system usage or expected performance.

the engine used, the optimization in place, the API used,
draw distances, amount of models & textures,
amount of physics, tessellation, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion,
and many other factors play into how powerful of a system it requires and how much resources it may take to run a particular game.

I have above the recommended requirements for rust and the performance is still so bad.
recommended requirements are usually based on either 30 or 60fps at ~medium settings with extra features disabled.
and all that entails is the CPU, GPU, RAM amount, & OS.

if you're running low performing memory, have it installed on a slow HDD, possibly don't have your BIOS optimized for performance, or many other determining factors;
you will still be getting lower performance.

just face it, you have a lower performing system and there's nothing you can do outside of upgrading.

for now make sure you have the latest BIOS installed,
make sure all of your system drivers are the latest offered on the motherboard manufacturer product support downloads page,
that your GPU drivers are up to date,
that any available updated GPU firmware is installed,
that you have a decent games drive(SSD with enough space),
that your BIOS is optimized for performance,
that Nvidia Control Panel's 'Manage 3D Settings' is optimized for your situation,
that your Windows Power Plan is set to High Performance