Question GTX 1660 Super still worth it in late 2020?

Sep 27, 2020
Hey, so I'm planning to upgrade my computer soon cuz Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner, as of right now I have a gtx 660 and I'm in desperate need of an upgrade as I basically can't run any games at lowest settings and get stable framerates, I've been looking into a gtx 1660 super for a while now, just wondering if u guys still think it's a good GPU as of late 2020 and how future proof it'll be. I don't play games at ultra settings I go for competitive settings but I'm also scared that my Ryzen 5 2600 will bottleneck low settings. Got any advice? Thanks

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
If you are gaming, or intending to game, at a resolution of 1080p or lower, then yes, the GTX 1660 Super is still a good choice, especially coming from a GTX 660 as this will be MAGNITUDES more powerful than what you currently have. It will be like going from a bicycle to a six cylinder Camaro.

It is a good pairing for a Ryzen 2600.

Sep 27, 2020
Ok, thanks good to know! Do you think my Ryzen 5 2600 will bottleneck low and competitive settings, whenever I see benchmarks of the GTX 1660 Super with other CPU's they get higher framerates at low and competitive settings compared to benchmarks with the Ryzen 5 2600. Thanks!

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Yes, if you are trying to use low settings to hit competitive very high frame rates, then the Ryzen 2600 is going to be a limiting factor, but it would be a limiting factor no matter WHAT graphics card you used, so unless you plan to replace the CPU with something that has better IPC and single core performance, it really doesn't make that much difference. You are unlikely to hit 144FPS on any demanding games with the Ryzen 2600. Light games, eSports titles, with lower settings, probably ok. AAA games, not a chance. 60-80fps max, most likely, for anything demanding with lower settings. Especially if it's something that is fairly well CPU intensive. Then it may be even lower frame rates.

BUT, the good thing is, it costs you NOTHING to TRY it out, because you already have that CPU. If you find that you are hampered by less than desirable CPU performance, you can always upgrade the CPU. If not, then no need to do so. Trying will tell all, but the graphics card isn't going to be the limiting factor in that regard if you are running lower settings at 1080p.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS