Question GTX 1660 super unable to install drivers.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I currently do not have internet so I was able to get to Nvidia site and download drivers to a thumb drive elsewhere for a used 1660 super I recently bought. I have done this many times for video card drivers, but this time it is simply not working.

So I installed the 1660 super into and old Inspiron 3847 desktop and installed a more powerful PSU in place of the stock one. All looks to be connected correctly. I install the thumb drive on the PC and find the driver for the 1660. It goes through and saves the files to a folder, and then I can hear the HDD running like it's going to start installing, but never does. I have waited at least 25-30 minutes, but eventually the HDD goes quiet and drivers never install.

Interestingly enough when I run cpu-z it shows the 1660 super, but of course in device manager it just shows the std vga. I do not have internet currently where I live so tried using my phone as a hot spot and it shows connected, but unable to access anything online, Troubleshooter shows no issues. I wanted to try downloading drivers directly from Nvidia to the PC. Guess I'm not going to catch a break anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Does your pc have wifi card installed? Wifi antennas visible from back panel?
If not, then there's no point in making a wifi hotspot.
I have a WiFi dongle and it shows connected, but no access to Internet. Also I only have internet explorer, and was trying to install either Chrome or Edge, but of course that's not happening.

I have a WiFi dongle and it shows connected, but no access to Internet.
Disable IPv6.

And if you're using wifi, then either disable ethernet connection or disconnect ethernet cable.
And obviously - for wifi hotspot to work, mobile data has to be enabled on your phone.

lTIetWTJdhuiKN44n2HqtxHZj

Last edited:

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Again not sure if this is relevant but GPU is recognized by cpu-z so hoping that means at least the 1660 is a working card. I've had issues in the past with getting the exact right driver, (sometimes an older driver or a beta driver would work instead of the recommended driver). This time as I mentioned before I install the thumb drive with the recommended driver right from the Nvidia website and it saves it to the PC, and looks like it wants to install as the HDD is working, but after this goes on for at 10-15+ minutes nothing ever happens. I will try to disable IPv6, but will most likely need to haul the pc to my neighbor who has internet access and download directly. Not even sure this going to work.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Disabling IPv6 didn't help. When I look at properties it shows I'm connected, signal strength is good, and it's 150mbps. Packets sent received look normal to me anyway. When I open internet explorer it says unable to connect. If I type something in the Bing search box it will open up options, but if I try to click on Google chrome or the Microsoft edge downloads it either won't open or it is blocked due to certificate issues. I'm going to try resetting the date. This is a used PC that I just picked up so I forgot to look at that. Also I'm using Windows 7 so that's not helping most likely.