Question GTX 1660 TI Bottleneck question

poodude28

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Hello, I am just wondering if anyone knows how bad the bottleneck of a GTX 1660 TI paired with an i5 3470 would be? I have a GTX 960 right now, if the bottleneck isn't that bad I'd really like to get this upgrade if there will still be a noticeable difference in fps.
Thanks.

Yeah you'll notice a difference for sure. The 1660ti is over double the power of the 960. The bottleneck will mainly be in games that utilize multi core CPUs heavily, even my 7700K can limit performance a bit due to this compared to the new Intel's and Ryzens. You could also try and find a used i7 for your socket although I'm not sure how much of an improvement it would really be. I'm waiting till July when AMD releases there new Ryzen 3000 and Navi GPUs to upgrade my system

poodude28

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah you'll notice a difference for sure. The 1660ti is over double the power of the 960. The bottleneck will mainly be in games that utilize multi core CPUs heavily, even my 7700K can limit performance a bit due to this compared to the new Intel's and Ryzens. You could also try and find a used i7 for your socket although I'm not sure how much of an improvement it would really be. I'm waiting till July when AMD releases there new Ryzen 3000 and Navi GPUs to upgrade my system
Say if I was going to go on one of those games that utilize multi core CPUs heavily, how bad would it be if that's answerable?