Question GTX 1660 Ti - Constant stuttering and hitching in games

May 28, 2020
So I have recently come across an issue with my 1660 Ti in which practically every 3D game I have tried, has some level of stutter and hitching. It can range from feeling like a simple frametime spike, to the entire game freezing for several seconds. It's not constant, but usually as soon as something new loads or comes up on screen, here comes the stutter. I have tried practically everything I can think of to fix this issue. I've tried updating drivers, rolling back drivers, screwing with things like HPET and system timers, reseating the video card, I reinstalled Windows 10 completely from scratch NUMEROUS times, and I even tried cleaning the standby memory.

I've tried turning off the pagefile, I've tried jacking UP the pagefile. The only extra hardware I have plugged in currently are a mouse and keyboard. This issue happens straight after a clean install of Windows.

EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
CX750M
MSI Z170A GAMING M5
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB - OS installed here
ASUS VG248

Temps are fine.

I dunno what to do anymore. Any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020
I am having similar issues in my i59400f and rtx 2060 build.
I am currently using a 60hz monitor but on gameplay videos with my specs i see smooth gameplay without any freezes.
Have been struggling with these issues for about 1.5 months now

May 28, 2020
Thats the thing. I DID recently upgrade my RAM, but this is around the time I started noticing the issue. So I removed the RAM and went back to the 2 sticks I have been using since 2016, but the problem persisted. Not using XMP either, since it caused issues with Fallout 76. I ran a memtest on them and they came across all green. I DO have yet to run it on the new RAM though. I did buy the 1660Ti this christmas, but prior to that I had been running a GTX 960 with ZERO issues.

May 8, 2020
Thats the thing. I DID recently upgrade my RAM, but this is around the time I started noticing the issue. So I removed the RAM and went back to the 2 sticks I have been using since 2016, but the problem persisted. Not using XMP either, since it caused issues with Fallout 76. I ran a memtest on them and they came across all green. I DO have yet to run it on the new RAM though. I did buy the 1660Ti this christmas, but prior to that I had been running a GTX 960 with ZERO issues.

Try to install dx12 and all the c++ from Microsoft site manually after a fresh install of the OS.

Also i doubt some background process is eating up my memory so using a background cleaner before running a game( currently unable to find out which process, probably a Microsoft one)

My problems got fixed by a good enough margin.
Well that's all i guess i can expect from a 60hz monitor with a 2060.
Have planned on getting a 144hz soon hoping it will fix the issue completely.