[SOLVED] GTX 1660 Ti Driver Causing Windows Loading Failure

Jul 1, 2019
Hello. Just purchased a GTX 1660 Ti, upgrading from an old GTX 770, and the Nvidia driver seems to be causing a load failure when installed. The PC will boot and load through the Windows loading screen but the display completely dies when that should be complete (when the blue Windows background with 'Welcome' should appear). This doesn't occur when the Nvidia driver isn't installed (when using the standard VGA driver). I have to boot in safe mode and uninstall the driver to get back to that point.

I've tried three or four different versions of the driver (the latest, the earliest and at least one somewhere in between), all produce the same problem. The graphics card itself seems to be functional and is adequately powered. It appears in the device manager with its correct name when the Nvidia driver is installed (viewing the device manager in safe mode). The white power light on the GPU turns on and I don't think I damaged the PCI-e slot on the motherboard during the upgrade, as re-installing the old GTX 770 and installing its driver seems to work perfectly fine. I'm presuming there's some issue with the 1660 Ti itself or between it and my PC which I can't narrow down.

Relevant info and specs:

Windows 7 x64 ( Ultimate SP1, fully updated as far as I can see [version 6.1.7601])
Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M V2 w/ a seemingly up-to-date BIOS (as old as that is). The version date in my sys info is a couple of weeks older than the version date on the ASUS website but the build number is the same (1001), so I didn't think it was worth messing with.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
600W PSU

I'm aware how old the motherboard and CPU are (as is the RAM) so there's no need to comment on it. I didn't build the PC and I'm upgrading it piecemeal. I intend to replace those soon but I was hoping to just be able to use the GTX 1660 Ti in the PC until then. I don't see any reason why there would be hardware incompatibility issues, though I'm still inexperienced with PCs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Issue solved eventually. Will relay findings here for future viewers.

I spent quite a while working under the assumption it was a software issue, as it related to drivers. I eventually ruled this out. Upgrading to Windows 10 was the last solution I attempted and it still wasn't the fix. I had to replace my motherboard, CPU (and RAM) to get the 1660 Ti working. I assume it was a motherboard issue, which was odd as I believe it should have been compatible.
Apr 1, 2019
Try completely uninstalling the NVIDIA driver using DDU and having windows automatically download the driver after reboot. If windows doesn’t automatically download the driver then go into device manager and update the driver from there

Jul 1, 2019
I've been using DDU for clean uninstalls. Haven't had Windows automatically download the driver but I did try and have the GeForce Experience software do it with the same results. I assume having Windows do it would still be the same? Still, I'll try it tomorrow.

Jul 1, 2019
Issue solved eventually. Will relay findings here for future viewers.

I spent quite a while working under the assumption it was a software issue, as it related to drivers. I eventually ruled this out. Upgrading to Windows 10 was the last solution I attempted and it still wasn't the fix. I had to replace my motherboard, CPU (and RAM) to get the 1660 Ti working. I assume it was a motherboard issue, which was odd as I believe it should have been compatible.

Reactions: Anker_by
Solution