Question GTX 1660 Ti or 1070?

Sep 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

I recently changed my PC from a 7-years-old all-purpose one to a much better configuration (I am both gaming on 1080p and am a graphic designer), based on a Ryzen 7 2700X and an Asus Prime X470 Pro with 16go 3200Hz RAM.
The weak link in my chain is clearly my GPU, which is an entry-level Gigabyte GTX 1050 2Go (Christmas gift from 2 years ago). It's doing the job now that it is backed up by all the brand new components, but it quickly shows its limits when trying to game in 1080p or carrying heavy Photoshop editing. Not to say the fans noise is quite exhausting to hear when carrying these graphic tasks for 5 or 6 hours on end when I am doing home-office.

Now, I want to upgrade my GPU, and after some research I narrowed my choice down to two models:
- MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Ti 6Gb Gaming X
or
- Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 Ti 6Gb Gaming OC

Both are priced at 310-315€, which is my budget limit.
I am aware that the performance of both cards fits in a very narrow slice, and it is quite more than enough for what I will do with it for the coming years, my question is more about the noise levels of both: Do you guys have an advice on which one will run the most silent for long periods on end? (As mentioned, noise level is quite a factor in my circumstances). I want to also be able to do gaming on 1080p Ultra (which is quite easy with this card), and eventually upgrade to 1440p while retaining a smooth Framerate. To note also, I am not an Overclocking fan, I stay with the stock presets when I need an extra performance.

Now the second part of the question: While comparing prices, I stumbled upon the ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 8Go on sale for 299€ (with 3 fans), would it be a viable alternative to the other two, for my needs? Which one would you recommend between the 3?

Thank you for your advices :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS