[SOLVED] GTX 1660 Ti upgrade to RTX 3080

Sep 10, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Let's start with that i want to upgrade my Graphics card from GTX 1660 Ti to RTX 3080,
At the moment i have:
MSI X570-A Pro & Ryzen 7 3700X on it, and Corsair TX650M 650W 80 Plus Gold

I do know that i will need to upgrade Motherboard, and probably PSU (I am not sure about that), but would like to keep Ryzen 7 with me,
Now, i was looking at ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero as new potential motherboard,

I do think i did a bit of search, but as i am just starting in the PC Building industry, i want to check and verify before i will start doing anything,

Is there anything i would need to worry about when upgrading? Specifically:
Do i need to upgrade PSU?
Will Crosshair-VIII-Hero be compatible with both Ryzen 7 and RTX 3080?

Thank you for checking

Solution
Motherboard is fine, not sure why you would need to replace it?

PCIe 3.0/4.0 is fully forwards and backwards compatible. Motherboard is more then enough to supply anything a PCIe card would need.

PSU, also fine. You would have to have a lot of additional stuff before I would get concerned.

Only real question would be what your monitor and resolution are, that could probably do with an upgrade if you are going to make that big a jump in GPU performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

PCIe 3.0/4.0 is fully forwards and backwards compatible. Motherboard is more then enough to supply anything a PCIe card would need.

PSU, also fine. You would have to have a lot of additional stuff before I would get concerned.

Only real question would be what your monitor and resolution are, that could probably do with an upgrade if you are going to make that big a jump in GPU performance.

Reactions: Szymon J.
Solution
Sep 10, 2020

Thank you for reply,
My monitor is Acer KG1 KG251QF FullHD 144Hz, standard 1920 x 1080,

I rarely was thinking to get an upgrade for him, but since I wouldn't have to replace as many components, it may be a great opportunity to do so,

If the monitor would need to be replaced, any recommendations?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't "need" to be replaced, but a 3080 is a massive upgrade. 4K 120hz is certainly not outside its performance range in many titles, more than competes with the 2080Ti which is already a huge upgrade to 1660Ti.

Certainly not something you need to deal with immediately, but you would be leaving a lot of performance on the table if you stuck with it.

Two options really, you could try for 1080p 240-360hz, those are fairly popular for fast paced FPS titles. Or ultrawide 3440x1440 at 100-144hz. 4K 120hz might be better planning for the future, people tend to keep monitors longer than GPUs, and games will get harder to run in time, as always.

HDR would be the other thing to look at. Nvidia's new Reflex (I think) tech, which supplements G-sync to reduce latency another thing to look into.

Really depends on your budget.

Some years back I bought into an early 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor. Probably going to keep that for the foreseeable future. Still to me the perfect blend of resolution/size and capabilities.

Reactions: Szymon J.