Question GTX 1660 Ti vs GTX 1080

Apr 24, 2019
Hi there.
I've recently come across a used (but in good condition, still has warranty) GTX 1080 for 350€ (392$) and the GTX 1660 Ti (new) is 320€ (359$). Which one should I get? I stream a bit, but not too much. I'm planning to pair it with a Ryzen 5 2600 and two 8GB 3200 MHz RAM. My PSU has 600W.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019
First off, on what screen resolution do you plan to play Games ? I would definitely grab the GTX 1080, if it's still under good condition.

List the make/brand, and MODEL number of this PSU.

I have a 1080p 75hz monitor. I don't plan to upgrade it, but I wouldn't mind to get a 2k monitor, but not a 4k one.
The PSU is a Corsair GS600
Thank you for your help btw :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you plan to stick with your current monitor for the next few years, I'd definitely go with the 1660Ti. I'd take the new-with-full-warranty and save 30€ versus the better performance of the 1080 (I assume only the remainder of the warranty compared to new? Not really sure - how much time is on the warranty for the used 1080?).

If you plan to go to a 2k monitor, the 1660Ti is still competent, but will sometimes need some settings turned down to keep up at 60fps, depending on the game.

If you do plan to upgrade (and this is my own bias showing), I would recommend getting a 2k ultrawide (2560x1080) rather than a standard 2k (2560x1440) monitor.

I personally love the wider field of view that ultrawide's 21:9 aspect ratio gives versus a standard 16:9 monitor. Further, the lesser vertical resolution means that the ultrawide 2k has only 75% of the pixels that the standard 2k has. This allows the video card to perform a bit better (fewer pixels to push).

Apr 24, 2019
If you plan to stick with your current monitor for the next few years, I'd definitely go with the 1660Ti. I'd take the new-with-full-warranty and save 30€ versus the better performance of the 1080 (I assume only the remainder of the warranty compared to new? Not really sure - how much time is on the warranty for the used 1080?).

If you plan to go to a 2k monitor, the 1660Ti is still competent, but will sometimes need some settings turned down to keep up at 60fps, depending on the game.

If you do plan to upgrade (and this is my own bias showing), I would recommend getting a 2k ultrawide (2560x1080) rather than a standard 2k (2560x1440) monitor.

I personally love the wider field of view that ultrawide's 21:9 aspect ratio gives versus a standard 16:9 monitor. Further, the lesser vertical resolution means that the ultrawide 2k has only 75% of the pixels that the standard 2k has. This allows the video card to perform a bit better (fewer pixels to push).
I was told that the 1080 was used for 6 months, so the warranty must be 18 months-ish?
2k ultrawide sounds really good, but for now i'm going to stick with 1080p due to my budget being focused on the pc itself

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not sure how the warranties work where you are located. I am in the US - most of the major brands offer 3 year warranties, but do NOT allow warranty transfers. EVGA has some allowance for warranty transfer.

I don't know what country you're in, or how exactly your consumer laws affect this.

With your current monitor, the 1080 would be a waste. It has more performance capability than your monitor can make use of.

If you move to a 2k ultrawide at some point in the future, if your max refresh rate is similar to what you have now, then even the 1660Ti will still be able to max it out in most games most of the time.

I guess it also depends on how long before you plan to upgrade the monitor - if it's a few years down the road, then I would definitely stick with the 1660Ti. If it's going to be sooner than that, then my decision would be based on:

1 - guaranteeing for certain that the warranty transfers to the new owner, and knowing exactly how long that will be, if you get the 1080

but more importantly

2 - What resolution (2560x1080 or 2560x1440) and refresh rate will your new monitor be.

EDIT: The conundrum of PC upgrades - each time something is changed, other decisions have to be recalculated, and more questions need to get asked.

Apr 24, 2019
I'm not sure how the warranties work where you are located. I am in the US - most of the major brands offer 3 year warranties, but do NOT allow warranty transfers. EVGA has some allowance for warranty transfer.

I don't know what country you're in, or how exactly your consumer laws affect this.

With your current monitor, the 1080 would be a waste. It has more performance capability than your monitor can make use of.

If you move to a 2k ultrawide at some point in the future, if your max refresh rate is similar to what you have now, then even the 1660Ti will still be able to max it out in most games most of the time.

I guess it also depends on how long before you plan to upgrade the monitor - if it's a few years down the road, then I would definitely stick with the 1660Ti. If it's going to be sooner than that, then my decision would be based on:

1 - guaranteeing for certain that the warranty transfers to the new owner, and knowing exactly how long that will be, if you get the 1080

but more importantly

2 - What resolution (2560x1080 or 2560x1440) and refresh rate will your new monitor be.

EDIT: The conundrum of PC upgrades - each time something is changed, other decisions have to be recalculated, and more questions need to get asked.
Warranty here is 2 years and they can be transfered.
Maybe i'll go for the 1660 Ti just because of it being newer AND the TDP being lower, since the max i will game on is going to be 2k.
I don't know the resolution, never thought about it, i'll have to do some research, but definitely only a few years down the road.