slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
My budget is limited and I have only two cards on which I have stopped - The Gainward Dual fan gtx1660(260$) and the Sapphire Nitro+ 8gb rx 580(240$)
Which is better and which will last longer?
Power consumption is a thing that i don`t give attention to.
Edit: There is also the gigabyte gaming rx 580 8gb which is 220$
Can you advice me what to buy?

Solution
If you have both in your mind, go for the GTX 1660, eyes closed. 1660 is a generation above the 580. The 2Gb extra VRAM doesn't matter at this tier. Besides, 1660 is $260 ? Where do you live man..lol. But, if you get a RX 580 for just $120, if it's a in a good condition then it is a better deal.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
I would definitely recommend going for the GTX 1660. Do you also have a compatible PSU with you, to power up any of these 2 cards ? List the model number, and your other PC specs. Which CPU are you having ? Make sure it doesn't bottleneck the card.
The gigabyte Rx 580 - RX580GAMING-8GD
The sapphire Rx 580 - 11265-01-20G
And the gainward gtx 1660 - 426018336-4443
My other components are
Ryzen 5 2600
2x8gb 3200mhz corsair Veangence
System power 9 be quiet 600W

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
the gtx 1660 generally outperforms the rx 580 and it does consume less power too. so id say go for the gtx 1660 if you can afford it if not then the rx 580 is already in it self a great performing gpu.

and theres always a risk on buying 2nd hand parts, but if you can surely guarantee that the rx580 nitro card is in good condition and is perfectly fine its a good deal.

Since you say that power consumption doesn't matter, then RX580 has better performance/$ but GTX1660 has better overall performance. If you don't want to spend the extra 40$ for ~10% more performance, then get RX580. If you can afford the expense, get GTX1660. I would probably say they would last a similar amount of time, since their overall performance should stay the same relative to each other. One thing to note is that the RX580 has 2GB more VRAM.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I'd go with the GTX 1660 too. I agree with j3ster as buying second hand is risky and the RX 580 (if a used one) might have been used for mining.

There no way I'm aware of that one can determine for sure whether the card has been used for mining or not or if it's in good shape apart from relying on the seller's word.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
If you have both in your mind, go for the GTX 1660, eyes closed. 1660 is a generation above the 580. The 2Gb extra VRAM doesn't matter at this tier. Besides, 1660 is $260 ? Where do you live man..lol. But, if you get a RX 580 for just $120, if it's a in a good condition then it is a better deal.

Solution

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
I have currently 1 old graphics card and i don`t know should i wait for Navi or just buy 1 now. What is your opinion? Should I wait 3 months for the Navi?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
if you can wait, id personally recommend that you just wait and see how Navi performs or impacts the pricing of current available cards. (its just a few more months)

but if your current gpu cant really give you the enjoyment you desire and you are itching for smooth gameplay, getting the gtx 1660 isnt a bad thing either since its fast and should last a while even if navi is somehow game breaking.

Reactions: slavi_asenov2002

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I have currently 1 old graphics card and i don`t know should i wait for Navi or just buy 1 now. What is your opinion? Should I wait 3 months for the Navi?
The real question is do you need to change now or not ? If yes then buy now, if not then don't. Or said otherwise it depends on is it a "need to change" or "nice to have".

I would not care about what Navi may be (or not!). Although there's a lot of crazy speculations, there's not a lot we know for sure. By waiting, you bet it'll be there in 3 months and offer a significantly better performance/ratio than what is available now. But what if it's only available in 6 months and offer the same value than what you could buy now ?

So, it's your guess and it depends on how well your actual card satisifies you. If it doesn't cut it anymore with the games you want to play, it's probably better to change now than to endure crappy gameplay for months only to buy about the same thing in the end.

Reactions: slavi_asenov2002

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
The question you should be asking yourself, do you want to game now or are you willing to wait several months for Navi and stay satisfied with your old hardware ?

No one really knows when Navi will actually land, or how cheap and competitive would they be compared to Nvidia. What I can tell you about Navi, that it will be based on the GCN architecture, the same you would find on Vega, Polaris (RX 5xx/4xx) and back to HD 7xxx series, so, it won't be something revolutionary like Pascal (GTX 10xx) was.

You could get the 1660, and worst case scenario, when Navi comes out, you will see that for ~20-30 bucks cheaper, you could have had a similar performing AMD card. We have all been there, that's how tech advances. But game in peace nonetheless. Or, you could get the used $120 RX 580 you have mentioned if it's in a good shape, as it's a very good deal, and get a mid-high end AMD or Nvidia later when the Navi dust settles.

Last edited:

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
The question you should be asking yourself, do you want to game now or are you willing to wait several months for Navi and stay satisfied with your old hardware ?

No one really knows when Navi will actually land, or how cheap and competitive would they be compared to Nvidia. What I can tell you about Navi, that it will be based on the GCN architecture, the same you would find on Vega, Polaris (RX 5xx/4xx) and back to HD 7xxx series, so, it won't be something revolutionary like Pascal (GTX 10xx) was.

You could get the 1660, and worst case scenario, when Navi comes out, you will see that for ~20-30 bucks cheaper, you could have had a similar performing AMD card. We have all been there, that's how tech advances. But game in peace nonetheless. Or, you could get the used $120 RX 580 you have mentioned if it's in a good shape, as it's a very good deal, and get a mid-high end AMD or Nvidia later when the Navi dust settles.
I think I am gonna stick to the HD5870 some more time, so I can save up more money to get a higher end GPU due to the fact I will be calm because I will keep it more years.