Question GTX 1660 Ti crashes above 60 FPS ?

justseska

Reputable
Jun 24, 2020
This is about my partners build that I've been trying to fix for the past entire day. It was running fine up until today. To start things out the PC is a Lenovo prebuilt, the Lenovo IdeaCentre T540, it has a i5-9400, and a GTX 1660 Ti, when playing Overwatch 2, when it goes above 60 fps the screen will turn black, and lose all control, and the systems fans will go to max speed, and will not restart unless I manually shut it down with the systems power button. I've tried many things to fix this, and I tried the GPU in my system and had the same results, I've tried many drivers and the same issue between them all. I'm wondering if the GPU is faulty, but hoping not because we don't have the money to replace it, any thoughts on what the problem could be?

justseska

Reputable
Jun 24, 2020
Does the system work properly using only the integrated video controller (1660 Ti removed)?

Do you know the wattage of the PSU in the PC in question?

Also, what is the make/model of the PSU in your system?
the wattage is 310 and model is PCJ007 (also yes the system runs fine besides not being able to run games with the integrated controller)

I had this happen with my 1660 Ti, but it was 100% my fault because I didn't get the power cable connected correctly (was using a finnicky 6+2 cable). So while I don't think that's your issue here I do think it is likely a power issue of some sort where the card isn't getting the power it needs. Sadly this would very likely be a faulty GPU issue where something on the board has failed if not the GPU itself. You should try taking a look at power draw/temperature if you can capture it before it crashes as that might give you a better idea (RivaTuner or HWMonitor are good tools I've used for this sort of thing). TDP on the 1660 Ti is 120W per nvidia's spec and I'd assume this one is adhering to that