Question GTX 1660Ti gaming X at 2560x1080 at 60 Hz,for future gaming?

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
So after a lot thinking,reading reviews,watching a youtube tests of this card,I decided to purchase it,keeping my current monitor which works on 2560x1080 at 60 Hz,and I am not planing to buy a next card in next 2 years,I know its not unpredictable how game engineering will go,so I ask you all,would this card be a good choice in next at least 2 years gaming at high/ultra settings ,with upgrade of my current R9 390 which is a lot slower?
I still have older titles to play,but I want to run Shadow of Tomb Raider,Metro Exodus,and Shadow of War at ultra settings,and need only 60 fps.
So guys would this card be a good choice for now?
p.s. don't tell me to buy 144Hz monitor I'm low on budget.
This card costs here currently 320 euros.

WildCard999

Titan
The 1660 ti is a good card for that resolution, I use a RX 580 on my monitor (same res @75hz) and it's able to run a mix of med-high settings so the 1660 ti should be a good choice for it.

Just wondering, what is the exact model of your ultra wide monitor?

WildCard999

Titan
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/

Long story short, it won't affect your monitor.

Did you ask LG or try it for yourself? My LG (2560x1080P/ 34WK650W-W) states 60hz but you can go into the Windows advanced graphic adapter settings and change it to 75hz without issues. If so maybe it's your version of the HDMI cable that won't allow the higher refresh rate?

While the 1660 ti 6gb would be an improvement I'm not sure if it's that much of an improvement to justify the extra cost.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
seems like 10-15 fps improvement over R9 390 on current games.
Hmmm I guess you are right,not worth the cost!
And I don't see the difference between high and ultra settings in games,so I can lower the settings to high and play most of the games at 60 fps except Metro.
I contacted the LG support and sadly got that answer,the only refresh rate I see at Windows 10 under adv.grp settings is 60 Hz.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I don't think I'd benefit from overclocking this CPU since it's clock speed is way then enough,but if someone disagrees,I am waiting for reply,
So you think not worth it to buy 1660 TI yet,over R9 390?

WildCard999

Titan
A 500-600mhz overclock (up to 4.8ghz on all cores) on that CPU could give you a decent performance increase, you have the perfect CPU cooler & motherboard to do so.

Here's the guide if you change your mind, everything you need to know about that CPU and more, plus the tools needed for overclocking.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

As for the GPU I'd get the 2070 for a substantial upgrade over that R9 390.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I think you sent me the wrong link.
Do you have the link/guide to overclocking this CPU with this board on this forum or anywhere else?
Yeah I know I have perfect cpu cooler,although I haven't meant to OC CPU,but out of curioisity I will try my luck.
I don't think games will benefit from higher cpu clock speed,but we will see if you are right.
Yeah most guys on other topic told me if my plans would be to buy a card not in the future 2-3 years to go for rtx 2070 even for just 1080p.But that one is hell of expensive here.
I guess I will based on these tests I posted here keep the R9 and play older titles still,and newer except this Shadow of War which seems very demading game.
I will post the results of Metro on high settings tommorow cuz it's time for sleep now.
Someone correct me,If I am wrong what I concluded above that plus 10-15 fps is not worth changing graphics card currrently but when the more demanding games come then I guess I will have to replace even CPU and MB.

WildCard999

Titan
It's the correct link, it start with temps and explains quite a bit but does get into overclocking. Most 6700K's will overclock differently (silicon lottery) which is why you can't just plug in certain values and be done. You have to start at a base, 4.2ghz in this case and work your way up 100 mhz at a time. If it passes the tests, great! Keep going until either one of things happen (1) Temp exceeds 80C in the benchmarking (2) voltage exceeds safe recommendations (1.4V). Voltage is increased for better stability but will lead to higher temps.

Start at section 8 in the guide. I do realize this is a lot of information but it's good to read through before starting.

Reactions: frozensun

WildCard999

Titan
Ok,thanks.
Why you think games would benefit from higher CPU clock speed?
Depends on the games, some that are more CPU heavy would benefit from while others may not but you won't experience worse performance then stock.

The 1070 ti is a good GPU however you need to be careful with used GPU's. If it was used for mining then it may not have much time left if it was used by a inexperienced miner or could have a custom BIOS made for mining and not for gaming. As for the fans there shouldn't be a issue, I know plenty of people who run there fans at 100% usage constantly and they last for years. Those that do break was probably a manufacturing error but if the card isn't under warranty then it wouldn't be covered and you'd have to find a aftermarket solution.

Apr 29, 2020
The 1660 ti is a good card for that resolution, I use a RX 580 on my monitor (same res @75hz) and it's able to run a mix of med-high settings so the 1660 ti should be a good choice for it.

Just wondering, what is the exact model of your ultra wide monitor?
What about the rtx2060 with a 1080p 60hz monitor? thoughts? its a 1920 x 1080 60hz, FHX2201QV monitor. 21.5".

Last edited: