GTX 2060 or GTX 1070?

Sep 21, 2018
Guys I have a issue on buying which graphic card in the future.. So what I heard from the rumors that GTX 2060 will be releasing at the end of this year, the performance is on par with GTX 1070 or maybe more and the price could be the same or expensive by a small amount.

GTX 1070 costs about an average of USD$450. GTX 1070 have 8GB and GTX 2060 only have 5GB. So should I go for the GTX 1070 for more VRAM? For me I do not understand the point on buying GTX 2060 for now.. o_O?

Solution
For me the main appeal of buying a 20XX card would be the tensor cores (other than ray tracing which for me will be of lesser importance). Tensor cores enable DLSS which in turn speed up rendering of frames much faster. This feature has very limited reviews currently in the wild as it seems to be a largely unfinished feature that does seem to make a large difference in rendering performance. The 2060 will have 192 tensor cores. This means when enabled games should be significantly faster and quite a few games seems like will support it.

For this reason I would wait and see if a 2060 does actually have tensor cores, like this site says https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3310/geforce-rtx-2060
and also see how real life performance is for...
actually we don't really know the exact date when 2060 will actually come to the market. also we don't know the exact spec either. though i think it will at minimum will have 6GB not 5GB (just forget about the leak spec). there are talks about the 2060 will going to lack the RTX features. if that's the case then it is possible that GTX2060 will not exist at all. officially nvidia already said the 10 series will still going to coexist with the new RTX series. rather than making new chip that still lacked RTX feature maybe it is better for nvidia to just fill the supposed "2060" spot with cards like 1080 or 1070.

Sep 21, 2018

Wow alright o.o. Should I afford more money for RTX 2070?.. It goes passed my budget point but is it worth it?...

Sep 21, 2018

Ohhh man that is just plain stupid marketing.. TT_TT

gaborbarla

Distinguished
For me the main appeal of buying a 20XX card would be the tensor cores (other than ray tracing which for me will be of lesser importance). Tensor cores enable DLSS which in turn speed up rendering of frames much faster. This feature has very limited reviews currently in the wild as it seems to be a largely unfinished feature that does seem to make a large difference in rendering performance. The 2060 will have 192 tensor cores. This means when enabled games should be significantly faster and quite a few games seems like will support it.

For this reason I would wait and see if a 2060 does actually have tensor cores, like this site says https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3310/geforce-rtx-2060
and also see how real life performance is for these cards before making a decision.

Solution

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
You might be in a different country than I but i just picked up a 1070ti for $359.00. You cant trust leaked benchmarks but they show the 2060 around 30% faster than the 1060 so just a tad slower than a 1070 but essentially tying it. The 1070TI is consistently ahead and if you can find one for under $400 might be a good option. I think the 2060 will cost $400 or more based on the other RTX pricing. My gut tells me HDR is going to be the next big thing before ray tracing since both Freesync 2 and gsync support it. Plus its easy to port from console games that have used HDR for years.

honestly i'm not so sure about HDR. so far the problem with HDR is it's base implementation. our GPU driver handle it differently, operating system also handle it differently. GPU maker have their own way to implement HDR because HDR primary issue is introducing some sort latency to the game itself. this is also one of the problem that happen on console. GPU maker have their work around with this but operating system maker like MS also try to push their own way of implementing HDR on windows. but this comes with the initial latency issue that HDR have. but to me the worse offender of all it seems MS try to force their way of implementing HDR on windows and actively try to override AMD/nvidia HDR "fix".