GTX 260 overheating?

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
oh god.... just now i was playing Crysis Warhead with mah pc, and i saw in the corner the temp at 85° (thats "normal" for all i know, at least in my weather, ambient temp, wich is like 28° now). But god i had a surprise when i saw EVGA prescition, it said the fan was working at 82%!!!!
normaly, 65% is what it says, but OH MAH GOD!!!!!
Im worried :cry: what should i do?
Should i sell it and get something like a 5850? or is this "normal"?
HELP :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
BTW:
Zotac Gtx 260 sp 216 very little overclocked, like 610 on core.... no overvolt
GPU usage was 100% all the time
Core 2 duo overclocked?
Coolermaster silentpro 700 watt psu
Cooler master hyper 212 plus cooler

its normal for a card to up its fan speed alot when it reaches high temps. So 82% fan speed is fine considering it was running at 85C, theres nothing wrong with the card, so unless you want more performance then there's no reason to buy a HD5850.

I would suggest you take the card apart and give it a good clean and some quality thermal paste. If you don't want to do that then just put up with the high fan speed.

Easy on the swearing, you have nothing to worry about. Many Nvidia cards can hit those kind of temps under load, especially when you overclock. The fan is supposed to go faster when the card heats up, so that's normal as well. I'm actually surprised that the fan didn't hit 100% at 85C.

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

oh ok... i guess i should not worry then....
but, i've had this card for like 6 months now, i saw somewher that the thermal pads could be a problem if i take it apart, is that true?
Also, what thermal paste should i use?

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

oh ok, thank you. Well, as far as i know it has something to do with zotac, i rememer reading a lot about it and all the people said that the zotac version runs a bit hotter, IDK.....

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to reduce your temps then apply some MX-3 thermal paste http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-002-AR

Make sure you clean off the old thermal paste with this: http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-000-AC

You'll have thermal pads on the memory modules and VRM's, just don't remove them.