Gtx 260 sli vs 5770 crossfire

... and since DX11 isn't really necessary for another year or so, that also makes it an untimely upgrade and a waste of money.

I think we've solved the question: Might as well just keep the 260s until DX11 starts to obsolete them.

@ Ebkboy: As the others have said: Stick with your dual GTX260s'.
In point of fact, most benchmarks show the HD5770 as being slightly slower than the previous generation cards in its performance range (HD4870/GTX260) so you'll most likely see a performance drop off along with the loss of PhysX. The only reasons to change is: Lower power consumption and, possibly less noise (my reference 5770 is as quiet as a meek church mouse, even under heavy load).

It wouldn't be a big improvement. In some situation you would loose a little performance. As previously mentioned you would also loose PhysX (though that may not be much of a factor in the future). Anyway, you should wait till DX11 is more prevalent and by then the price of two 5850s, or their replacement, should be alot less.

pauldh

Illustrious
I agree with everyone else it's a sideways move in terms of performance, especially if you have a hefty enough CPU. If you could make the move from SLI to Crossfire without a mobo swap, then likely you do have such a CPU.

What are your system specs? If your CPU is underpowered, the pair of GTX 260's would not be able to keep up with a pair of Radeons. Compare GTX 295 to HD 4870 X2 here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-platform,2469-8.html

AMW1011

Distinguished
perfrel.gif

As you can see the 5770 is almost exactly the same as the GTX 260 192 core and the 4870 in performance. The GTX 260 216 core is faster by a good 10%.

So either you will get the same performance, or you will get less. If DX11 is really important to you then I recommend waiting for the GTX 4xx series launch in March to see if you can get 2 5850s because they should drop in price. On the whole I don't believe anything less than 2 5850s will be a worthwhile upgrade.