Aurixious

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Just bought a GTX 260 and am disappointed in the performance. I've read the benchmarks for this card and know something is up. Frame rates in Crysis will drop to the 20s on medium settings. I'm wondering if this is because my motherboard might not support pcie 2.0 or if it's my CPU. My motherboard is from an HP prefab, and looking at the detailed specs on HP's site doesn't show what version pcie it is, only that it's x16. My CPU is a Q6600 at the stock 2.4 GHz frequency.

A PCIe 1.x 16x connection has ample bandwidth for your GPU.
The issue must be somewhere else.

What PSU are you using with this card?
Is it the stock HP unit?
Please post all the specs you can locate on it (wattage, brand, +12v amperage, etc.).

How many programs are running in the background while you are trying to game?
Try closing everything that is not needed and see how much of a boost that gives you.

What resolution are you gaming at?

Not sure but how you word it sounds like Crysis is normally giving you decent FPS but occasionally slows down into the 20's.
If this is the case, I would not doubt it one bit.
Crysis is a system killer and, even when running on a top end system, it still can chug along quite slowly in parts.

Aurixious

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
It's not the PSU. I have a 750watt PC Power and Cooling PSU that uses a single rail. It has more than enough current. I'm not running anything in the background that is resource intensive. I use 1440x900 when gaming. I get terrible FPS on just medium for Crysis. My friend has a 9800GT and plays on high with better FPS. He uses the same res as I do but he has an E8400; this is why I was wondering if my CPU is bottlenecking my video card. Crysis supports 4 cores but isn't optimized for it, at least that's my understanding.

G

no something else is wrong i have also q6600 on 2.4ghz and zotac gtx 260 amp and i can max crysis on 1280x1024 which is very similar to your resolution.

Aurixious

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I appreciate the responces but none of them help me. I need definites on what could be the cause of the problem. It has to be either the video card, motherboard, or CPU. I'm thinking it's not the CPU because I get the same results when I play Fallout 3, which is far less intensive on the CPU than Crysis. I have 4Gb of ram so that's not the issue. I can guess all day what's causing this; I need facts.

deano241092

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
hey i was having similar problems with my gtx260 and q6600 and i dont think its ur motherboard. ur cpu is probably bottlenecking ur card so try overclocking beyond 3ghz+ and u should be rite.

deano241092

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
hey i was having similar problems with my gtx260 and q6600 and i dont think its ur motherboard. ur cpu is probably bottlenecking ur card so try overclocking beyond 3ghz+ and u should be rite.

deano241092

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
the q6600 isnt stable when running at stock with a powerful card like the gtx260. im no longer having anymore problems with my card or the cpu and crysis is running at a smooth 43fps on max settings

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Are you overclocking or underclocking the GPU?
What are the 3DMark scores compared with a similar system?
I'd go back to the basics, check the BIOS for the CPU settings, perhards the multiplier or FSB got bumped lower?

G

no it is not the q6600, if he cant play fallout 3 on that res come on.... what type of motherboard do you have, obviously you graphic card cant use all that power, maybe your motherboars is too old...

Download and use Speedfan to check the CPU temperatures, about 35-40C at idle is not far out and 60C under load is also O.K. but if the temperatures are much higher it could be causing the CPU to throttle and slow down to prevent itself from burning out.
What drivers are you using and what card did you have previously? Switching from ATI to Nvidia can cause problems if the old ATI drivers are not fully removed before the new Nvidia software is installed.

deano241092

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
ummm yeh AA is off in crysis. but i 4got to mention earlier that i was running sli. thats how im averaging 43fps. i wouldnt do that with a single card.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Stop hijacking the thread.

To the Op check your temps while running and post back. It could defently be a heat issue causing throttle problems. When you installed the drivers did you clean the prior drivers off first? First step would use driver cleaner and clean all the video drivers off the computer and reinstall the latest from nvidia. If you still have problems I would check the temps on your cpu and then your graphics card. Are there any artifacts when playing?

Aurixious

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Wow so many posts, thank you. I'll do the temp testing for both medium and high. I tend to get better results on high than medium. So, it may be be a throttling issue and/or fan not kicking in to full speed. The mobo is an asus mobo but it was from an HP prefab. Basically I can't do anything in the BIOS. I know about speedstep and wonder if this is something that is hard coded for a prefab mobo. I know the Q6600 has a larger die so it heats up easier, and I have a stock cooler so heat could be an issue. I switched from an 8500GT to the GTX 260 so its not an ATI driver issue. Also I did a reformat so its not a previous driver issue. I have the latest drivers from nvidia as of last week. I don't have AA on when I play in Crysis. I will do some testing in games and run a 3dmarks06 test and post the results.

Aurixious

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Running Forged alliance at 1440x900 on max settings produces 30-40 fps. I played the first single player level which has a lot of units in a small area.

Running Crysis at 1440x900 on medium settings produces 40-60 fps when not fighting and around 27 fps when fighting. For high settings I get 25-40 fps when not fighting and 25-30 fps when fighting. Temp on medium for gpu was 46C and 47C for CPU. Temp on high for gpu was 53C and 45C for CPU. Temps may be deflated as I couldn't alt tab out to check the temps in speed fan.

Even if the temps were 5C higher in the time it took me to quit and check, it doesn't seem to be a temperature issue. GPU temp is great and CPU temp is ok. With he GPU temp so low it makes me think the card is not performing to it's max.
Any thought's?

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Why do you think you should be getting much more than what you are with crysis? Most people are only getting around 30 to 40 fps on 1280x1024. Hell with a core i7 and 3 285's I only get between 50 and 80 1920x1200. Temps seem fine and your fps seem about right for your resolution and crysis. They might be a little low and ocing the cpu would help out a bit. Temps seem fine so that is not an issue.